A random list of the 100 best non-English Language Films

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

A random list of the 100 best non-English Language Films

Postby wpqx » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:06 am

Stumbled across this in another blog. Curious to see a list designed to include films available on DVD. That said I was a little surprised to find that I had already seen all the films on the list.

eddieonfilm.blogspot.com/2005/12/foreign-art.html
wpqx

Re: A random list of the 100 best non-English Language Films

Postby A » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:28 am

Looks like yet another consensus list of classic "critics" films...
A

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:32 am

I didn't see any mention of DVD availability in the intro.

However, I recently came across a list -- compiled by Tom Charity for The Vancouver Sun -- which considered it as a key factor: "'100' Greatest Films to Build Your DVD Collection" (pdf).
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:03 am

Regardless both lists seem a little silly. Not to say I don't like making my own lists, but sometimes it can get a little stale reading someone else's. I've come to prefer the lists that I actually feel I can learn something from. Even though Rosenbaum might be a pompous ass and anybody who wouldn't list Casablanca or The Godfather in their top 1000 reeks of film snobbery, some of his titles have opened my eyes to a far more diverse group of films than most "essential" lists.
wpqx

Postby A » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:02 pm

I've also come across Charity's list recently. It's certainly helpful to somebody not into movies who wants to see and own some great films on DVD. I find this approach quite useful at times (listing what is available in one form or another), but unfortunately we have advanced a lot as film fans, and i don't think any of those "standard" best of lists gets any of us excited anymore.

Rosenbaum's list is very interesting, on the other hand.
A

Postby jcdavies » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:17 pm

Well, it's a good introductory list, better than many, and i like the comment (Jim Emerson) on Sansho:

"If I had to choose just one movie one movie above all others on this list, Mizoguchi's would be it. I've long felt that if there were a god, the closest expression we're likely to find on this earth in in this movie. It's not the only film on my list that gives me goosebumps whenever the title is mentioned, but I don't believe there's ever been a greater motion picture in any language. This one sees life and memory as a creek flowing into a lake out into a river and into the sea."
jcdavies

Postby wpqx » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:51 pm

Just the other day I read Bordwell's recollection of the first time he saw the film, as I'm sure you're aware of John, he's quite the Mizoguchi admirer.
wpqx

Postby jcdavies » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:34 pm

And of course my admiration of him (DB) + his of Mizo are purely coincidental.
jcdavies

Postby wpqx » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:50 pm

I'd certainly like to read his Figures Traced in Light book, as I've only read the introduction and a few appendixes of it. Other than Street of Shame I've pretty much run out of available Mizoguchi films, but I know that there are a few that do exist in prints around the world, so hopefully someone will put them out soon. Considering how many Naruse and Ozu films have been released internationally over the last couple of years.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:50 am

A list by itself doesn't inspire me unless I admire the author and his critical skills and I know that the individual is more than capable of defending the films in aesthetic terms (Rosenbaum doesn't qualify for me in that regard).

*Naurse/Mizoguchi on DVD/VHS.
arsaib4

Return to Lists and Recommendations