Best Films of the 80s

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Best Films of the 80s

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:58 pm

What's the running time on the vhs?
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:39 pm

Hell if I know, never rented it. I think the VHS came out in like 1985 so its a little ancient.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:51 am

At Amazon, where the vhs is OOP, the MGM/UA release is listed at 122 mins. That's about 20 mins short of the prints I've seen.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:07 am

That complicates things, makes me even that much more anxious to see a DVD release.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:07 am

I'd certainly hold off a bit longer for a proper release, or badger Facets to acquire the French DVD.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:46 am

I might drop that subtle hint, they are aware how bad their print is, but convincing them to purchase import DVD's is like convincing a Cubs fan to be realistic.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:01 am

arsaib is the El Sur on your list the one directed by Carlos Saura, because that film was released in 1992.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:09 am

No, Erice (1983). Don't tell me you haven't seen it. This reminds me though that I gotta fill in the rest of the info.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:00 am

I heard of Erice's film under the title The South, so that might explain the mix up. Either way I haven't seen either version, although it has been on my to watch list for several years now (along with several thousand other movies).

and yes years and directors would help, don't have to get all fancy with countries, but I'll leave you to your own discretion.

btw Where the hell did you get to see Le Pont du Nord? They didn't even show that at the Rivette retro here in Chicago.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:52 pm

Initially on video, then most recently at the Rivette retro in Toronto.
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations