Best Films of the 80s

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Best Films of the 80s

Postby wpqx » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:09 pm

I feel cheated.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:55 pm

People have travelled across continents for Out 1, so If I were you I wouldn't feel too bad.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:31 pm

True, I just remember seeing the list of Rivette films for the retro and simultaneously rejoicing that Out 1 was playing, and then double and triple checking the list to see if Le Pont du Nord was on there. My point was that I really was hoping for a complete showing. Now my next question is where did you see it on video?
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:07 am

It was from an old, beat-up French copy. No subs and is probably OOP (if it was official).
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:10 am

Well subtitling is always a problem with Rivette films. He likes to have a bunch of people talk over each other so no matter what you're usually missing some of the dialog. I doubt I can find that copy, but I'll see.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:58 pm

I'm still trying to get a hold of Taipei Story, and really any Yang films, I've only seen two and both were masterpieces. Glad I did finally get around to seeing Class Relations, even if it was in less than optimum conditions.
wpqx

Postby A » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:05 am

Which two Yangs did you see? I have a really bad VCD of Yang's "Confucian Confusion" (1997) still unwatched at home. Taipei Story was just a lucky coincidence at last years Vienna film festival (one of many ). And how did you finally see Straub & Huillet's masterpiece? You lucky man. I wish I'd have the opportunity to watch it again for the first time...
A

Postby wpqx » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:42 am

I've seen Brighter Summer Day and Yi-Yi from Yang. I got Class Relations from a DVD-r which looked like a transfer of a 16mm print. The quality was terrible, but with a film that rare, I'll take it anyway I can. The same guy had two more films from them which were probably in similar transfers, but since I was unfamiliar with them I opted to pass for now. I wish there would just be a full retro, I still don't even think New Yorker released Moses and Aaron which has been coming soon for the last year. I know New Yorker owns most of the rights to their films (at least in the US) and the print I saw of Class Relations had the New Yorker Films Release logo at the beginning. I'm curious to read Kafka's Amerika because from what I'm told it is a very literal adaptation, including the unfinished ending.
wpqx

Previous

Return to Lists and Recommendations