Sight & Sound - 75 Hidden Gems.

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Sight & Sound - 75 Hidden Gems.

Postby chard09 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:10 am

A pity -- I have only seen one.

Noel Vera is Mario O'Hara's biggest admirer. That man really loves his films. As for Three Years Without (A) God, it is indeed beautiful, groundbreaking, and rare (the Japanese not as villains).

Too bad i haven't even seen Alexis Tioseco's pick. (Got surprised that Moises Padilla Story is from the US)
chard09

Postby A » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:09 pm

Thanks for your effort Trevor.

The list is very interesting, though I wouldn't call all of them hidden.

I've read about half of them, and am looking forward to a couple for some time already. Most interesting are of course the ones I've never heard of. Nice to see Borowczyk listed with one of his supposedly best films.

I've only seen three from the list:

Raise Ravens (1975) Carlos Saura, Spain
Le Roman de Renard (1931) Ladislaw Starewicz, France
Subarnarekha (1965) Ritwik Ghatak, India

None of those is "hidden" in my opinion, but they are definitely gems. Raise Ravens is a masterpiece in my book, and Subarnarekha isn't far behind. Le roman de Renard is a classic and a must see as well. Three first rate artists who aren't unknowns...

Didn't know Monpti is loved by Mller. I'll try and check it out. But first I'll ask a friend of mine who is a bit of an expert on (West) German films from the 50s and 60s. We actually tried to get a copy for a screening in September at our cinema, but it didn't work out.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:46 pm

Needless to say, I'm also quite interested in Mller's selection. If you find anything, A, please share.
arsaib4

Postby A » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:14 pm

I'll see what i can find out.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:21 am

Vlcil's Marketa Lazarov, which John is also interested in, was scheduled to appear on DVD in the U.K. Not sure if anything has transpired yet. If I remember correctly, someone here (Madhuban?) wasn't overly impressed by it.
arsaib4

Postby A » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:18 pm

Yes, she sad something along the lines of having expected more. Although she might have still been impressed. Too bad she isn't around at the moment. I have to see Lazarov too.
Sigh... - So many films, so little time
A

Postby wpqx » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:20 am

Well the film does have a bit of a reputation and sometimes the higher the praise the greater the disappointment. Its very high on my list of films to see. I've seen two films from Vlacil and enjoyed both of them.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:11 am

Numerous U.K. sites have listed Marketa Lazarov as a Nov 26 release.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:58 am

PLEASE LORD JESUS BE RELEASED IN THE US.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:10 am

Practically speaking, your Facets is our best bet. They already have a decent library of Czechoslovak New Wave films.
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations