Sight & Sound - 75 Hidden Gems.

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Sight & Sound - 75 Hidden Gems.

Postby wpqx » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:20 am

I've been constantly bugging them about Marketa for nearly a year now. They did release Vlacil's Valley of the Bees however and that was a treasure to behold.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:05 am

It certainly was. I've also liked The White Dove and Adelheid from him. But Marketa is simply regarded as one of the greatest ever produced by the nation.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:24 pm

The greatest by one source. Haven't seen The White Dove is it available?
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:48 am

Yes, on DVD from Facets.

And speaking of the Chicago-based distributor, it will be soon be releasing another New Wave film on DVD. The NW in question is Argentinean and the film is Los Muertos, which made my Best Undistributed list of '06. It's ultra-minimal, but you know where I stand in regards to that. Coming out on Jan 29th.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:07 am

Sounds familiar, glad to hear it.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:38 am

I believe it played at the Facets Cinmathque a few months back. Speaking of which, are you taking any classes there right now?
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:53 pm

Marketa hasn't played at Facets for over a year at least. I'm not taking anything at Facets. They actually told me if I give them a good enough idea for a class I can teach one myself. I have a two week course starting Monday that's going to suck and drive me nuts, then I can enjoy my break and hopefully finish this director month.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:27 am

I was referring to the Argentinean film. And it looks like Marketa has been delayed a week.

You should consider their offer if you can find the time. It would only add to your resume.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:01 pm

Ah but what to teach?
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:27 am

Something involving Academy Award nominees.
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations