This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Postby nana » Thu May 03, 2001 3:31 am

just saw momento...a little confused. what are your intrepetations of the ending. never the less, it was awesome!! check it out if you haven't.

Re: Memento

Postby judelime » Thu May 03, 2001 8:54 am

Well, the question is: did Leonard really kill his wife? Can we trust 'Johnny G.'at any point? If Leonard lost his memory when his wife was murdered, how does he remember he lost his memory (when it doesn't seem to be written on his body)? Was Leonard's wife a diabetic?? What part, if any, of the Sammy Jankis story is true? Why doesn't Leonard keep a pad and pen on him at all times (I guess he keeps forgetting)? If Leonard did kill his wife in a version of the Sammy Jankis story, at what point in his story did he lose his memory? Without memory is there past or future? Is ignorance bliss (can anyone ever know)?

Postby K is for Katherine » Thu May 03, 2001 9:40 am

I'm sure some people will trash this film - most films seem to be trashed at one time or another on these messageboards (!) - but I loved it. Some people look for flaws in a film like this as part of a game, when it's much more fun to find different interpretations and make them work. This movie has many possibilities, and I do like that! Worth seeing again...
K is for Katherine

Postby Vee. M. » Wed May 09, 2001 3:12 am

leo has no memory, but if you remember, there was the scene with the sammy jenkis being tested for some kind of unconsciously induced memory, the scene where he gets shocked repeatedly for picking up the wrong block. well they said most patients with short term memory loss, do eventually stop picking up the shock block, which suggests some type of vague notion of memory induced by stimuli or repitition. so we can assume that leo unconsciously remebers to check hi spockets from repitition.

but anyways even if my counter-theory is flawed, have you ever seen a perfect movie? i agree with k-katherine, dissection of logistics is fun, but it gets old.
Vee. M.

Postby PunkWashGurl » Thu May 10, 2001 6:48 pm

the ending was really the begining, but a good one at that, this movie was GENIUS!!! i loved it but there were so many questions, i personally believed "teddy", leo had just been lying to himself all along, but this was a really smart movie... really intelligent.... it made you think!! i saw it twice, the second time i really got it, so i suggest that if you had questions go see it again!

Postby repulsion2000 » Thu May 17, 2001 12:30 pm

The film's ending gets a little too gimmicky, but it's such a stunning comment on the duplicitous nature of memory. I love how the main character is trapped in this world where he will sadly repeat crimes in an attempt to achieve an ellusive closure. As far as I could make out, the couple that he talks about were just figments of his own imagination. My review of the film can be found on my site:

Postby jshafey » Thu May 17, 2001 7:56 pm

it is trite to some degree, but if you look at social satire, well?

society with no connection to the recent past.
society with a false innocence.
society with hidden corruption.

Postby Hectate » Fri May 25, 2001 4:10 am

Dodd did it.

Postby mafonsobraga » Sun Oct 14, 2001 2:05 pm

the film's name is "Memento", that means something to remember.

Postby vvasquez » Thu Nov 01, 2001 1:59 pm

I thought it was a very clever narrative idea which brings the literary innovation of the unrealiable narrator/protagonist to cinema, while pondering the interdepenence of identity and memory, i.e. choice of good or evil.

Return to Film Talk