Top Ten of the 70s

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Top Ten of the 70s

Postby A » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:27 pm

Since we have already the thread on the best films of the 70s, here is your opportunity to list the cream of the crop.

My Top Ten:

1. La maman et la putain The Mother and the Whore (Jean Eustache / France / 1973)
2. Barry Lyndon (Stanley Kubrick / UK / 1975)
3. Zabriskie Point (Michelangelo Antonioni / USA / 1970)
4. Mes petites amoureuses (Jean Eustache / France / 1974)
5. 1900 (Bernardo Bertolucci / Italy, France, West Germany)
6. Cra cuervos Raise Ravens (Carlos Saura / Spain)
7. A Clockwork Orange (Stanley Kubrick / UK / 1971)
8. El Topo The Mole (Alejandro Jodorowsky / Mexico / 1970)
9. Sal o le 120 giornate di Sodoma Salo, or The 120 Days of Sodom (Pier Paolo Pasolini / Italy / 1976)
10. Deux hommes dans la ville Two Men in Town (Jos Giovanni / France, Italy / 1973)
A

Re: Top Ten of the 70s

Postby MikLosk » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:19 am

I've just seen Picnic at Hanging Rock. So I've decided to update the list.

1. Mirror (Andrey Tarkovsky, USSR, 1975)
1. Picnic at Hanging Rock (Peter Weir, Australia, 1975)
2. Don't Look Now (Nicholas Roeg, Italy/UK, 1973)
3. Death in Venice (Luchino Visconti, Italy, 1971)
4. Cries and Whispers (Ingmar Bergman, Sweden, 1972)
5. Stalker (Andrey Tarkovsky, USSR, 1979)
6. Profession: Reporter (Michelangelo Antonioni, Italy, 1975)
7. Macbeth (Roman Polanski, UK/USA, 1971)
8. Alice in the Cities (Wim Wenders, Germany, 1974)
9. Barry Lyndon (Stanley Kubrick, UK, 1975)
10.Amarcord (Federico Fellini, Italy, 1973)
MikLosk

Postby wpqx » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:15 pm

It's been long enough

1. The Godfather (US - Francis Ford Coppola)
2. Star Wars (US - George Lucas)
3. Apocalypse Now (US - Francis Ford Coppola)
4. Annie Hall (US - Woody Allen)
5. All That Jazz (US - Bob Fosse)
6. The Conformist (France/Italy/West Germany - Bernardo Bertolucci)
7. A Clockwork Orange (UK - Stanley Kubrick)
8. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (UK - Terry Gilliam/Terry Jones)
9. Mean Streets (US - Martin Scorsese)
10. Quadrophenia (UK - Frank Roddam)

Damn hard list to make, now I know why I didn't do it before.
wpqx

Postby jcdavies » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:36 pm

1.Mirror (Tarkovsky)
2.Celine and Julie go Boating (Rivette)
3.Alice in the Cities (Wenders)
4.Pakeezah (Amrohi)
5.The Passenger (Antonioni)
6.Spirit of the Beehive (Erice)
7.Claire's Knee (Rohmer)
8.Stalker (Tarkovsky)
9.Kings of the Road (Wenders)
10.Aguirre Wrath of God (Herzog)

+
Tale of Tales, Apocalypse Now, Manhattan, Hearts and Minds..
jcdavies

Postby R6dw6C » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:09 am

Usually I don't like lists but in front of this thread, I will try again although it's really cruel to chose 10 favourite movies from your personally most loved decade. All the following films gained 10 out of 10 from me. I couldn't write down my all time favourites - some memories are fresh, some old. I need to rewatch "Eraserhead", "The wicker man", "Sal", "Max et les ferrailleurs", "Frenzy", "Ali: Fear eats the soul", "Halloween", "Keoma", "Deadlock" and so many others so here are some current darlings...

Confessione di un commissario di polizia al procuratore della repubblica / Confessions of a Police captain in front of the republic's prosecutor (Italy 1971, Damiano Damiani)

Don't look now (UK/Italy 1973, Nicolas Roeg)

Suspiria (Italy/West Germany 1976, Dario Argento)

Professione: Reporter / Profession: Reporter (Italy/Spain/France 1975, Michelangelo Antonioni)

Faustrecht der Freiheit / Fist-right of freedom (West Germany 1974, Rainer Werner Fassbinder)

Montana Sacra / The holy mountain (Mexico/USA 1973, Alejandro Jodorowsky)

Profondo Rosso / Deep red (Italy 1975, Dario Argento)

Turks fruit / Turkish Delight (Netherlands 1973, Paul Verhoeven)

A clockwork orange (UK 1971, Stanley Kubrick)

La polizia chiede aiuto / The Police wants to help aka What have they done to your daughters (Italy 1974, Massimo Dallamano)

And there are still so many left. Not to mention that I haven't seen the later works of Tarkowskij and Bergman (just as an example.) And no word about my beloved Fellini... Well, it's my own guilt. I shouldn't have visited this thread.
R6dw6C

Postby wpqx » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:06 am

After my list was done I instantly realized there's no way to get 'em all. Hence the reason I generally prefer our best films of the . . . threads, better way to offer films from each year. Your list seems to be rather Italian heavy, but lord knows mine is Anglo-American through and through. Holy Mountain is an odd choice, and hopefully I'll get a chance to watch the new official DVD of it. The version I saw was a Japanese import and even then it was probably 6 or 7 years ago.
wpqx

Postby R6dw6C » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:18 pm

The biggest problem is that there were too many great movies made in the Seventies. Especially, in my opinion, in Italy. I definitely need to see more asian and english-language cinema from this glorious decade. For example (shame on me) I still haven`t seen such classics as "The Godfather" and "Jaws", also none of John Cassavetes' films up to now. A few years ago I catched a big trauma about american cinema that even lasts until today a bit so there`s no way to get around it in the future. Fortunately, my last experiences were almost all extremely great ("Vanishing Point" - what an underrated film!) and I'm really excited about the video copy of "Get Carter" that was given to me by a friend...
R6dw6C

Postby wpqx » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:38 am

I'd definitely recommend the Godfather before Get Carter and Vanishing Point, but I did enjoy the latter. Can't say Get Carter did much for me though.
wpqx

Postby trevor826 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:12 am

Looking through all your lists has just confirmed to me that there's no way in the world I could knock up a top 10 from the 70's or any decade, there's just too much choice.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:45 pm

Yes, it's so difficult. Looking at my own Top Ten, I'm already wondering if i should change it
A

Return to Lists and Recommendations