Memento

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Memento

Postby FilmLover » Fri Nov 02, 2001 6:11 pm

I too liked Momento. However, I liked his film "Following" much better. The style is very similar.

FilmLover

Postby janesbit1 » Wed Dec 05, 2001 4:32 pm

Leonard is the most unreliable narrator I can think of off the top of my head. We can believe what John G. says at the end, but he had been using Leonard previously when handy. I wrote a review at http://www.culturedose.com/review.php?rid=10001914

janesbit1

Postby stof_ » Mon Dec 17, 2001 10:52 pm

A question that I love to ponder over is whether his quest for vengence will continue. It's easy to assume that it will. After all it has been happening for many years, but that was with teddy stringing him along with false information. Now teddies dead. we also have a picture of what he thinks is the man that killed his wife, now dead. Theres also the licence plate tattoo. whenever he looks that tattoo's licence plate up, he'll get a John G that was murdered. Is it finally the end? or will he be in a constant loop of searching for the killer, finding out he already killed teddy, forgetting about it and trying to find the killer again?
stof_

Postby thegreatken1 » Wed Dec 19, 2001 11:43 pm

I like "Memento". I thought we are not allowed to discuss American movies (either indie or Hollywood) on this post.
thegreatken1

Postby katsuben » Sat Dec 22, 2001 6:07 am

I personally like to think he is forever doomed to construct new ways of perceiving his life, that are all efforts to avoid a traumatic event, e.g. his wife's murder. But the wider point of such a narrative is to engage us in questioning to what extent we contruct our own lives in terms of hiding from unresolved problems/fears. In what ways are we similar to Lenny? Do we believe what we tell ourselves? How reliable and/or valid is memory? Does time really heal (the movie seems to say, not if you have no sense of the passage of relavent time).
katsuben

Postby stof_ » Fri Dec 28, 2001 3:03 am

this goes out to thegreatken1. I don't think there are any rules about discussing american movies. I realize that it's not what this sight is about. but think of it this way. Foreignfilms.com is here for people that are sick of the constant blockbuster hollywood crap. they seek different movies. Movies that have a new perspective, movies that are underated and ignored despite their quality. So really this is a sight for people that have actual taste in movies. And in many ways Memento fits this mold. It might be american, but it's not typical of hollywood fan fare. It definately did not recieve a massive hollywood debut. I found out about it word of mouth, myself. So I don't think Talking about Memento is a big deal. Now if somebody starts to discuss "Not Another Teen Movie", something is horribly wrong.
stof_

Postby antigone » Tue Jan 01, 2002 11:29 am

i don't think his wife is dead, which i think is implied. the fact he has no reason to do what he's doing except that he can't remember. hunting for the killer of his wife gives his life definition, if he believes it to be true and real, then it is, the nature of memory and belief.
antigone

Postby john-5 » Sat Jan 05, 2002 12:33 pm

Back to the definition of a foreign film.I'm not sure why Chinatown is included in the top 100,even it's directed by a Pole.As has been said before, all films are foreign to most people in the world.I take it to mean non-American(i guess Americans started the site?),certainly not in English.I don't mind some discussion about American films(it's inevitable,i suppose) as long as the site mainly concentrates on films not in English,which i presume is the main purpose.It becomes more problematic when certain non-American directors start making films in the U.S-all their films can get listed for voting, if i'm not mistaken.I see Tarantino's films are even listed,presumably cos he directed a part of Four Rooms,which Rodriguez also had a hand in,but i don't think American films should be allowed in the top 100.As for Memento,by a British director(there's a shortage of good ones working in Britain,i'd say);it was extremely interesting and certainly made my head spin.I wouldn't want or feel able to give it a close analytical study,delve into its extended meanings!
john-5

Postby john-5 » Sat Jan 05, 2002 2:19 pm

ignore what i just said about Tarantino and Four Rooms-either they've been deleted or i must have imagined the whole thing!
john-5

Postby thegreatken1 » Sat Jan 05, 2002 8:24 pm

Stof-
So it's confirmed that we could talk about anything that is anti-Hollywood. That makes a lot of sense. There are a lot of films from other countries that I don't think it's foreign. It is hard to differ Americans and Canadians. To a majority of people across either Pacific or Atlantic, they assume that Jim Carrey is a funny "American" actor, and Pamela Anderson is a hot "American" chick. Sometimes it is hard to compare Americans with Aussies and Kiwis. Australia gave us Guy Pearce ("L.A. Confidential", "Memento", and the upcoming "Count of Monte Cristo" movie), Hugh Jackman ("X-Men", "Swordfish", and "Kate & Leopold"), Heath Ledger ("A Knight's Tale"), and the Aussie stereotype Paul Hogan; while NZ gave us Russell Crowe ("Gladiator") and Sam Neill (the first and third "Jurassic Park"). Mel Gibson and Nicole Kidman are pseudo-Aussies because they are born in the States.
Of course the Americans differ from the Brits. I couldn't consider them foreign though. I separate British pics (like "Trainspotting", "The Full Monty", the original "Get Carter", and the early James Bond films) from the ones I label "foreign". If you agree or not, please respond with your feedback.
thegreatken1

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk