Best of 2006

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Best of 2006

Postby hengcs » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:53 am

Hi

26. (10.) Dealer (Benedek Fliegauf / Hungary / 2004) [71] 12.10.06

i think i have watched this in San Francisco Int FF some time ago. A very slow/contemplative piece ... where did you get the DVD?

47. Omaret Yacobean "The Yacoubian Building" (Marwan Hamed / Egypt / 2005) [63] 2.11.06

is the DVD available?

48. (20.) Workingman's Death (Michael Glawogger / AUstria, Germany / 2005) [62] 11.17.06

oh, you have finally watched it …
hengcs

Postby A » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:56 pm

Dealer was a theatrical distribution in Germany (as the numbe in brackets indicates). Don't know about a DVD but I hope it will be available, as more people should see this excaptional film. Did you like it?

Omaret Yacobean, I saw at the Berlin Film Fest. Don't know about a DVD and how it was received in Egypt (if it was a hit or not).

And I need to add my comments to Workingman's Death. Thanks for the reminder, I forgot the thread.
A

Postby justindeimen » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:05 pm

Hey bamboomedia1, that's a list that you should'nt feel insecure about. Mainstream has its place.

I've watched an indie and a mainstream this week that will probably end up in my list for '07. Old Joy and Dreamgirls.
justindeimen

Postby Matalo Matango » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:31 am

Just today registered here and finding this thread, I'm probably a bit late to post my list for best cinematic experiences with new films in 2006, but I decided to do it nevertheless. These are my favourite new movies in 2006 (most of them got an official theatrical release here in germany, some of them I have seen at film festivals), using the international distribution titles and maybe the first three films on my list are some very personal favourites, but that's what this kind of lists are for in my opinion (either you can't claim the "best" films anyway), so here we go:

1. L'AUDITION (Luc Picard)
2. MIAMI VICE (Michael Mann)
3. SCIENCE OF SLEEP (Michel Gondry)
4. BATTLE IN HEAVEN (Carlos Reygadas)
5. THE NEW WORLD (Terrence Malick)
6. HIDDEN (Michael Haneke)
7. THE HOST (Joon-ho Bong)
8. WINTER JOURNEY (Hans Steinbichler)
9. THE METHOD (Marcelo Pieyro)
10. SHORTBUS (John Cameron Mitchell)
11. CHILDREN OF MEN (Alfonso Cuaron)
12. SUMMER IN BERLIN (Andreas Dresen)
13. SILENT HILL (Christophe Gans)
14. INVISIBLE WAVES (Pen-Ek Ratanaruang)
15. BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN (Ang Lee)
16. SYMPATHY FOR LADY VENGEANCE (Chan-wook Park)
17. TIME TO LEAVE (Franois Ozon)
18. PURE HEARTS (Kenneth Kainz)
19. THE DEPARTED (Martin Scorsese)
20. REQUIEM FOR BILLY THE KID (Anne Feinsilber)

And in addition four really great movies that unluckily only made it on DVD (plus with delay) in germany:

THE ORDEAL (Fabrice Du Welz)
SURVIVE STYLE 5+ (Gen Sekiguchi)
MYSTERIOUS SKIN (Gregg Araki)
KAMIKAZE GIRLS (Tetsuya Nakashima)
Matalo Matango

Postby wpqx » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:34 am

Don't feel bad about it, I haven't even finished my list, as I'm not comfortable with the amount of films I've seen from the previous year, and it might take me until the end of this year to be adequate.
wpqx

Postby A » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:01 pm

Interesting list MM, and welcome to the board.

Haven't heard about your no.1 on the list. Could you say something about it? Otherwise I'm glad to see so many personal favorites on it, and great diversity too.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:46 am

Distributed Films (U.S.)

This is my Best "Distributed" Films (2006) list.

Rules:

*Official theatrical releases only. Self/Int. sales company distributed films didn't qualify as such. A number of factors contributed to the eligibility of films from micro-indie distributors.

*Direct-to-DVD releases were considered if they met the 5-year World Premiere term.

Clean - Olivier Assayas / France-Can-U.K.

Climates (Iklimler) - Nuri Bilge Ceylan / Turkey-Fra

A Scanner Darkly - Richard Linklater / U.S.

Three Times (Zui hao de shi guang) - Hou Hsiao-hsien / Taiwan-Fra

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (Moartea domnului Lazarescu) - Cristi Puiu / Romania

4 - Ilya Khrzhanovsky / Russia

Triple Agent - Eric Rohmer / France-Spa-Ita-Gre-Rus

When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts - Spike Lee / U.S.

Gabrielle - Patrice Chreau / France-Ger-Ita

Old Joy - Kelly Reichardt / U.S.

Vital - Shinya Tsukamoto / Japan

Babel - Alejandro Gonzlez Irritu / U.S.-Mex-Fra

Children of Men - Alfonso Cuarn / U.K.-U.S.

Letters from Iwo Jima - Clint Eastwood / U.S.

Mutual Appreciation - Andrew Bujalski / U.S.

La Petite Jrusalem - Karin Albou / France

Romntico - Mark Becker / U.S.

Somersault - Cate Shortland / Australia

Workingman's Death - Michael Glawogger / Austria-Ger

*My Best "Undistributed" Films (2006) list.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:52 am

Coming Soon to a thread near you: an extensive list of Honorable Mentions (2006).
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:02 am

I guess I'm the last hold out. I'll try and check out some of the films from your list I haven't yet seen and hopefully I'll be able to put a list together. Again your multiple ties are your own method. I've seen at least 10 great films for a list, but I'm still trying to figure whether they're the 10 greatest films of the year.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:10 pm

Good. Let me know if you need any info on any of those films (I think you've already seen most of 'em). I'm also looking forward to your list. I'd like to come across a film or two I haven't yet seen.
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations