Best of 2006

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Best of 2006

Postby wpqx » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:48 pm

Well I'm heading to Facets in a few minutes so I think I'll pick it up. I've generally liked Mann's films, although I haven't really been "blown away" by any of them.
wpqx

Postby A » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:37 pm

I wasn't as impressed by Mann's latest as I thought I would be, but then I was a bit distravted while watching it (ahem ), and like arsaib points out, a bit overwhelmed by its formalism. Subsequently it has grown in my memory and I'd love to see it again.

Interesting selection of runner-ups. As usual, I haven't seen nearly as many films in 2006 so I have a lot to look forward to

Hopefully I'll come up with a better listing method for 2007. If I look at my own lists, they look quite crowded and messy; I always want to pack in as much as possible
A

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:09 am

I have kept an eye on your list(s) so don't worry. It took me a while to finalize mine but somehow got to it. Will try to be more proficient next time around.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:11 pm

I gave up on this resolution, but my (eventual) goal is to make a top ten list from every year once I've seen 50 films from that year. At the present, I only have about 5 or 6 years where that's possible, and in a couple of years I'm barely at the half way point. However once I hit this goal, I'll probably decide 50 isn't enough and move it up to 100.
wpqx

Postby A » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:40 pm

Well, I'm trying to come up eith ten personal favprites from every year, and it's no less difficult
We movie buffs really are crazy
A

Postby wpqx » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:38 am

I've sort of decided to abandon sound for a little while, and I think I'll exhaust as many silent films as I can find for awhile. I'm a little weak with films from 1917.
wpqx

Postby A » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:47 pm

Quote:I'm a little weak with films from 1917

Me too

I'm always glad to hear if someone tries to watch more silent films. I need to see more myself.
I have some nice ones waiting on my shelf:
some early Chaplin shorts, Feyder's Carmen, Lubitsch's The Marriage Circle, Murnau's Sunrise, and dozens of others.
A

Postby wpqx » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:15 pm

I'm fairly weak on Chaplin shorts, which I know is bad. I've seen a few, but nothing compared to Keaton. Got those 140 Edison films to work on today.
wpqx

Postby A » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:25 pm

You lucky bastard!

Hope we'll read about them soon.
Is there a DVD edition out which I'm unaware of, or do you simply have good connections?
A

Postby wpqx » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:13 am

Kino put out a 4-disc set of Edison films in 2005.
wpqx

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations