Best Spanish films

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Best Spanish films

Postby A » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:15 pm

Something I just got per mail:

Here is a Feb 1976 poll by the Spanish magazine Resenda where 54 critics, 24 professionals and the magazine's readership voted the 10 best Spanish films ever made.

1. El Vergudo (Luis Garca Berlanga / 1963)
2. El Espiritu de la Colmena (Victor Erice / 1973)
3. Bienvenido, Mr Marshall (Luis Garca Berlanga / 1953)
4. Viridiana (Luis Bunuel / 1961)
5. Futivos (Jos Luis Borau / 1975)
6. La Caza (Carlos Saura / 1966)
7. La prima Angelica (Carlos Saura / 1974)
8. La tia Tula (Miguel Picazo / 1964)
9. Tristana (Luis Bunuel / 1970)
10. Calle Mayor (Juan Antonio Bardem / 1956)
11. Placido (Luis Garca Berlanga / 1961)
12. Muerte de un Ciclista (Juan Antonio Bardem / 1955)
13. El Jardin de las Delicias (Carlos Saura / 1970)
14. Surcos (Jos Antonio Nieves Conde / 1951)
15. Nueva Cartas a Berta (Basilio Martn Patino / 1966)

Anybody seen any of this.
Spanish cinema is widely neglected outside of the country. Maybe arsaib nows some links to subtitled DVDs? :D

Re: Best Spanish films

Postby wpqx » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:59 pm

I've only seen the Saura and Bunuel films, I haven't even watched my DVD of Spirit of the Beehive yet. Mexican film gets a decent distribution here, but films from Spain are a little harder to come by. I wonder how Almodovar dominated this list would be if it were made today.

Postby jcdavies » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:06 pm

It's not easy getting hold of many of these; El Verdugo/The Executioner is very highly rated in Spain- e.g on the website FilmAffinity. La Caza is another i've long wanted to see. Spirit of the Beehive remains my favourite film.

Almodovar: i did see another Spanish critics' list from just a few years ago and he was a long way from dominating-some surprisingly low placings.

Postby hengcs » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:18 pm

Thnks for the list,
maybe it helps to put the year ...
* guess i am too young to have heard of them ... ha ha ha ... just kidding *

will get the DVD if anyone knows their availability

Postby A » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:02 pm

Ok, I've added the complete names and years of release according to imdb - don't know if they are correct though.
I also haven't heard of most of these films, and seen none, although I own the Erice film. But my spanish is too bad to watch without subs. Don't know about any DVDs.

I guess Saura's Cra cuervos (1976) would have made the list if it had been released one year later. How did it fare on the more recent poll John? From the little I've seen it's by far my favorite Spanish film.

Btw, it's incredible how high the imdb rating for the three Berlanga films is.

Postby hengcs » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:02 am

Best Latin American Film of 2006. This special prize of FIPRESCI will be presented to Brazilian filmmaker Karim Ainouz and his film Suely in the Sky.

Jury members were Mario Naito (Cuba), Jorge Jellinek (Uruguay), Jorge Morales (Chile), Marcelo Janot (Brazil) and Diego Lerer (Argentina). Karim Ainouz will receive the prize on March 17, at the closing ceremony of the Mar del Plata International Film Festival, Argentina.

"Here we are facing a fiction that came to us almost as a documentary, opening our eyes to real people not yet translated in cinematographic clichs to an easy explanation of the drama they are living", writes Jose Carlos Avellar

Postby Iserp » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:18 pm

I guess the magazine is 'Resea', and that none of the work of Buuel outside Spain counts here. Almodvar isn't as highly praised here in Spain as you can think. Sure some of his best work would be near the top of the list ("Todo sobre mi madre", specially); but many people thinks that most of his films that are more polemic than good (and that's why he gets oscars: his work is different and 'exotic' in hollywood)

Of that list I like:

- "El Verdugo", very good film about the death penalty. I guess it was more shocking when there was death penalty in Spain. Some witty dialogues. I really liked the final scene, worth watching.

- "Muerte de un Ciclista", a personal favourite, about hipocresy in the society.

- "Viridiana", mixing religion facing the crude reality with surrealism. Really good.

The other films I have watched are "Bienvenido Mr. Marshall", which is OK; and "Tristana" and "El Espritu de la Colmena", that somewhat i was disappointed with them.

If the list was to be made today, i would include:

"Los Santos Inocentes", 1984, Mario Camus
"El Sur", 1983, Vctor Erice
"Abre los Ojos", 1997, Alejandro Amenbar
"Volver", 2006, Pedro Almodvar

I haven't seen "Cra Cuervos", I'll try to watch it some day.

Postby A » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:22 am

You're from Spain, or how come you've seen those films?
I haven't seen more than two dozen spanish films yet, so I'm quite ignorant of the country's output. But Cria Cuervos is an exceptional film.

Postby Iserp » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:59 pm

Yep, I am Spanish. I have to say that most film I see is from USA, and only a few Spanish films (40 voted on filmaffinity over 500 i have voted in total).

I suppose it isn't easy to see spanish films outside (not so easy to see old ones here, either, but i guess easier, anyway, hehe)

Postby gratefultiger » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:36 am

Great to see "Death of a Cyclist" mentioned i taped it on aussie TV years ago it was superb,must pull it out again.El Sur is a film i enjoyed as well besides the Bunuel's, "Spirit of the Beehive" is the best of the others i've seen so far,but i ain't seen em all yet! hope to see more.

Return to Lists and Recommendations