Memento

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Memento

Postby john-5 » Sat Jan 05, 2002 9:17 pm

TO BE HONEST,I'M NOW MORE CONFUSED THAN EVER AS TO WHAT "FOREIGN" IN FOREIGNFILMS.COM MEANS.
john-5

Postby john-5 » Sat Jan 05, 2002 9:17 pm

TO BE HONEST,I'M NOW MORE CONFUSED THAN EVER AS TO WHAT "FOREIGN" IN FOREIGNFILMS.COM MEANS.
john-5

Postby Ockien » Sat Jan 05, 2002 11:41 pm

Yes me too, like for instance Stanly Kubrick made most of his films in britan because he ended up living there, but are they considered british or hollywood films I guess the only proper answer is neither. Same with Hitchcock and Ridley Scott, both very good filmakers born in britan, except Scott has made only american films, but Hitchcock stared off making british cinema but then moved to hollywood and the rest is history. Also David Cronenberg is canadian but has done one or two films for american studio's and Atom Egoyan made Felica's Journey but is also considered canadian as well as british.
Ockien

Postby stof_ » Sun Jan 06, 2002 3:33 pm

The "Foreign" in ForeignFilms.com might have become sligtly inappropriate. but I'm glad it's there. as we've discovered, It's very hard to determine what exactly this site is for. Foreign is the easiest way to include the largest number of films that people are interested in withought loosing sight of it's purpose. could you imagine if it was GreatFilms.com?
before you know it people would be comparing American Pie to American Pie 2 and talking about how great that scene was in Behind Enemy Lines when everything blew up.
for the purpose of this website. Foreign means movies that are foreign, or alien, to mainstream movie goers.
stof_

Postby john-5 » Sun Jan 06, 2002 4:01 pm

This makes good sense-the main question this raises for me is whether films like Paris Texas(Officially a German-French-British co-production,by a German director,but filmed in America) and Sunrise(American silent,but very European in style,by German director)should now be added to the database,for voting etc.I love them both,and seeing Chinatown,have been tempted to add them.
john-5

Postby john-5 » Sun Jan 06, 2002 4:44 pm

I seem to have a problem with my FilmSearch,cos neither Sunrise nor Paris Texas came up,but i did find they were on after all,via other routes!This may account for several people putting films on the site twice,an issue i'd raised.
john-5

Postby stof_ » Sun Jan 06, 2002 7:25 pm

I've also had troubles locating certain films. some films show up on some lists but not others. Even films I've added can't be found the usual way. as great as this site is, It really needs to be cleaned up.
stof_

Postby stof_ » Sun Jan 06, 2002 7:31 pm

I definately think that films like the ones you've discussed should be added. It's become harder and harder to say that a film is from just one country. American film uses many Canadian actors and films constantly in Canada, but it's not Canadian. As barriers in trade and finance break down, reason to remain exclusive to one country or culture deminishes. Colaborative efforts often make for a better movie. The best idea would be to simply put such films in under the foreign country they are most linked with and mention their american routes in the summary or comments
stof_

Postby nakedfrenchgirl » Sun Jan 13, 2002 12:59 pm

Back to "Momento"! Loved it, but was alittle confused on who really killed his wife. I didn't see where his wife would still be alive, but it did baffle me a bit to wonder if his appetite for vengence was ever quenched. I mean how would he remember? He would eventually run out of body part's for his "mementos" and speaking of body, well it wouldn't be me to not comment on how gorgeous Guy Pierce is!! Hey, he could use my body part's once he ran out!
nakedfrenchgirl

Previous

Return to Film Talk