Andrei Tarkovsky's 10 favorite movies

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Andrei Tarkovsky's 10 favorite movies

Postby Don Lope de Aguirre » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:31 pm

Nazarin Luis Bunuel
Winter Light Ingmar Bergman
Wild Strawberries Ingmar Bergman
City Lights Charles Chaplin
Diary of a Country Priest Robert Bresson
Ugestu Monogatari Kenji Mizoguchi
The Seven Samurai Akira Kurosawa
Woman in the Dunes Hiroshi Teshigahara
Mouchette Robert Bresson
Persona Ingmar Bergman

Glad to see I'm in good company with Diary of a Country Priest. Johndav should be happy to see Mizoguchi on the list.

I'm surprised at Seven Samurai. I liked it, but I found it to be a bit too obvious for my tastes.
Don Lope de Aguirre

Re: Andrei Tarkovsky's 10 favorite movies

Postby Anasazie » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:24 am

The best artists are very rarely the best critics. Bergman's into Spielberg and Soderbergh, while openly slating both Antonioni and Godard.

I'm actually more suprised with Wild Strawberries and Persona on that list, the former being really quite light and whimsical, the latter being pointedly obvious, neither are close to being Bergman's strongest.

But then you're right, strip it down and Seven Samurai's just an action film, like a lot of Akira really, one of the most over-rated film-makers ever to exist. It is my fave of his though.

Postby wpqx » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:45 pm

If we were criticizing his choices, Winter Light seems a much odder choice than Personna or Wild Strawberries. This list was up on the old site I believe, but it is a good indicator of some of his influences, granted Seven Samurai seems decidedly un-Tarkovskyesque.

Postby Anasazie » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:22 pm

Of course WP, Winter Light is much less accessible than the other two Bergman films.

You know a lot of true Bergman followers adore that film and Bergman himself rates it as his best. Personally i'd rate it amongst his top 5 and it's much closer to Tarkovsky than either Wild Strawberries or Persona because it's a little more elusive.

Postby jcdavies » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:22 pm

Winter Light eluded me! Yes, johndav is pleased but not surprised Mizoguchi features- Tarkovsky described him as one of the great soaring souls, can't remember the exact words now.

Return to Lists and Recommendations