Top Ten for the first half of 2006

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Top Ten for the first half of 2006

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:12 am

Yeah, wouldn't it be great if instead of the weekly mindless products churned out by the Hollywood machine, the whole world gets to watch, say, the latest Hou film on the same day. (That'd never happen, but we can still dream, can't we?!)

I have a 5 year rule with new releases, so that's why a film like Le Chignon d'Olga, which had its world premiere back in 2002, qualified since it showed up in the U.S. this year.

Looking forward to your thoughts on Three Times. I hope you get to watch it on the big-screen; if not, Artificial-Eye wil put it out on DVD on Nov 13th.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:54 am

If I'm not mistaken the DVD of Clean was out before the movie was even released here in the US. It only played here for one week in a really inconvenient theater anyways, admittingly most of the films on arsaib's list I haven't even heard of.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:59 pm

Clean received a limited theatrical release in the U.S earlier this year from Palm Pictures. Though I wish it was released by Sony Classics.

As for the other films on my list, I know you've seen A Scanner Darkly and Three Times.

Somersault, Triple Agent, Buffalo Boy, Le Chignon d'olga, Exiles, Manderlay, Peep "TV" Show and The Forest for the Trees are all available on DVD in the U.S. right now. (I've talked about most of them on this site.)
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:54 pm

I'll get to most if not all of them eventually.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:03 am

I believe I'm only at about 25 films this year, and maybe enough for a decent list of about five good ones. Last year was the first time I was able to have a top ten done at year's end, and I'd like to be at that point again this year. However I'm going to have to work on a minimum of two films a week at the cinema in order to be remotely close, but more like 3 a week, considering I only have a month left.

so far potential candidates would be

Tsotsi
United 93
A Scanner Darkly
Borat
Volver
A Prarie Home Companion
Three Times

However I could easily see most of these getting cut on the top ten list.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:22 am

I'm certainly glad to see A Scanner Darkly and Three Times among the candidates. And as I mentioned earlier, I also really liked Linklater's Fast Food Nation.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:41 pm

I'm going to try and see The Fountain today (in about 1 1/2 hours) and I've heard good things about it. Arronofsky's last film topped my list for 2000, so expectations are properly inflated.
wpqx

Postby A » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:08 pm

Heh, this year I was lucky to be at the Berlinale (I'll probably get an accreditation for next year ) where i was able to see over 50 new films.
Overall I've seen over 80 "new" films this year, and my Top Ten will be expanded to include all worthy candidates. (so far 13 or 14 films)
I usually never had problems compiling Top Tens at the end of a year for the past four or five years, because I was attending the cinema a lot. Funny thing is that though I have been at the cinema more often than ever before during the last two years, I have almost stopped watching new films that get released at the cinema, because I prefer to see older titles on the screen. But as long as i have the opportunity to go to festivals this won't be too big a problem.

On a side-note, I can imagine almost all of my selections for this year to get thrown off the Top Ten positions in the future because so far, only one movie has cracked the 90 mark in my rating system (which would classify it as a masterpiece for me). In that regard 2006 has been the most disappointing year since I have been regularly going to the movies (and that's from 1990 onwards, btw).
A

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:29 am

"I'm going to try and see The Fountain today (in about 1 1/2 hours) and I've heard good things about it. Arronofsky's last film topped my list for 2000, so expectations are properly inflated."

I'm not in a hurry to watch The Fountain but I certainly will get to it. Soderbergh's The Good German and De Niro's The Good Shepherd look like interesting December releases. Hopefully they'll be more than merely year's end award-season fodder.

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu is one film I expect you to see before finalizing your 2006 list.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:53 am

Well the Fountain was severely disappointing, as my review would indicate. I saw The Queen today (the theater was shut down for CO2 detection, so I couldn't see Fast Food Nation afterwards). Regarding the Queen, I honestly believe if I were British this film might have some effect on me, but I felt literally nothing watching it. Even during the dramatic music and Diana's death I was completely detached, but I remember (pardon my going to hell) not caring when Diana died. However Bobby was about an American figurehead being murdered, and that movie @#%$ me up. I can't tell if its a question of different film techniques (as Estevez's film built up to it) or if its cultural differences. The irony is I got a free pass because of the CO2 problem, and I essentially got rewarded for trying to sneak into another movie. So later this week I have a free ticket for Fast Food Nation, and it better be god damn good.

I'll see what I can do about The Death of Mr. Lazarescu before December 31st.
wpqx

Previous

Return to Lists and Recommendations