Ten best films of the 90's

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Ten best films of the 90's

Postby wpqx » Mon May 08, 2006 3:12 pm

I could have sworn this list was on this site, but alas it wasn't. Now I'm not sure how to do this one, whether I should go foreign and English, or maybe even group by year or alphabetically. For now however I'll just go with ten, and I'll add as I see fit.

Although some films may have not been released in the US in the 90's, I'm going by international release dates, because it just makes life easier.

1. Pulp Fiction (Tarantino)
2. Schindlers List (Speilberg)
3. Goodfellas (Scorsese)
4. Before Sunrise (Linklater)
5. Dances With Wolves (Costner)
6. Magnolia (Anderson)
7. Fight Club (Fincher)
8. Malcolm X (Lee)
9. L A Confidential (Hansen)
10. Natural Born Killers (Stone)

This was my list as of about a year or two ago, so not much changing. So here's an off the top of my head list of foreign films from the decade.

Flowers of Shanghai (Hsaio-Hsien)
Europa Europa (Holland)
After Life (Kore-eda)
Rebels of a Neon God (Ming-Liang)
Happy Together (Kar-wai)
Underground (Kustirica)
Satan's Tango (Tarr)
Hard Boiled (Woo)
To Live (Yimou)
Ulysses Gaze (Angelopoulus)

Re: Ten best films of the 90's

Postby A » Mon May 08, 2006 3:31 pm

Ok, I just got the post all wrong, and had to edit it.
My 10 best films of the 90s would currently be (listed alphabetically:

Dead Man (Jim Jarmusch / USA, Germany, Japan / 1995)
Haonan haonu Good Men, Good Women (Hsiao-hsien Hou / Taiwan, Japan / 1995)
Los amantes del Crculo Polar The Lovers of the Arctic Circle (Julio Medem / Spain, France / 1998)
Moe no Suzaku "Suzaku" (Naomi Kawase / Japan / 1996)
Nema-ye Nazdik "Close Up" (Abbas Kiarostami / Iran / 1990)
Pola X (Leos Carax / France, Switzerland, Germany, Japan / 1999)
The Thin Red Line (Terrence Malick / USA, Canada / 1998)
Topzu Tokyo Decadence (Ryu Murakami / Japan / 1992)
Trys dienos "Three Days" (Sharunas Bartas / Soviet Union / 1991)
Xich lo "Cyclo" (Anh Hung Tran / Vietnam, France, Hong Kong / 1995)

other contenders:

Arizona Dream (Emir Kusturica / USA, France / 1993)
Being John Malkovich (Spike Jonze / USA / 1999)
Groundhog Day (Harold Ramis / USA / 1993)
L' appartement The Apartment (Gilles Mimouni / France, Spain, Italy / 1996)
Sweet and Lowdown (Woody Allen / USA / 1999)
Underground (Emir Kusturica / Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, France, Germany, Hungary / 1995)
The Reflecting Skin (Philip Ridley / UK, Canada / 1990)
Twelve Monkeys (Terry Gilliam / USA / 1995)
Unter der Milchstrae Under the Milky Way (Matthias X. Oberg / Germany / 1995)
Wandfuru raifu "After Life" (Hirokazu Koreeda / Japan / 1998)

Postby madhuban » Mon May 08, 2006 4:00 pm

Here's my list...

Underground (Emir Kusturica)
Happy Together (Wong Kar-Wai)
Good Men, Good Women (Hou Hsiao-Hsien)
Ulysses Gaze (Theo Angelopoulos)
Close-Up ( Abbas Kiarostami)
La Belle Noiseuse (Jacques Rivette)
Irma Vep (Olivier Assayas)
The Hole (Tsai Ming Liang)
Dead Man (Jim Jarmusch)
The Match Factory Girl (Aki Kaurismaki)

I've also tried to restrict myself to one film per director, though choosing only one from Kiarostami was tough! I haven't seen "Rebels of a Neon God" or "Satantango". The ones that I had a tough time keeping out of this list are -Gabbeh (Makhmalbaf), "Autumn Tale" (Rohmer), "Flowers of Shanghai" (Hou) and "Raise the Red Lantern" (Yimou).

Postby A » Mon May 08, 2006 4:05 pm

Nice list.
Vagabond is from '85, but you can open an 80s thread

Postby madhuban » Mon May 08, 2006 4:06 pm

I saw "Vagabond" in the 90s, therefore the confusion!

Thanks A for pointing this out. Have edited it I share three favourites with you and two with wpqx!

Postby Anasazie » Tue May 09, 2006 5:09 am

Quote:I'm a little disappointed with my list honestly, obviously have some movies to see

You certainly do.

I want to make so many derogatory comments about your list, but i'll hold back for Arsaib's sake. Your foreign films list isn't bad, but i find it hard to see how someone can hold all those USA-ian films in higher regard than some of the brilliant non-USA-ian films you've mentioned.

One question.... are you nationalistic or just generally prefer USA-ian cinema? And if so, why?

I like the other lists that have been mentioned and i'll probably share a couple of those also. I'll post mine soon, but i haven't seen much and it'll be very conventional.

Postby wpqx » Tue May 09, 2006 1:39 pm

Well the list I mentioned was one that's been little changed for several years. I do generally prefer American films to foreign films primarily because that's what I see the majority of (a little over saturation). I came to foreign films after having a more than thorough introduction to American film.

I know I haven't seen an enormous amount of French films of the 90's, but of the one's I've seen none really overly impressed me, perhaps my favorite of the bunch would be Irma Vep. Lists of favorite films of mine have pretty much always been dominated by American films, and quite possibly always will be. I don't want to sound ignorant but I'll use a similar defense that Peter Bogdanovich used which is that its easier to experience American films, because you don't have subtitles. Now I have no problem reading subtitles, but frequently you can miss a lot of what's going on by reading along, rather than admiring aspects of the mise-en-scene. And since I haven't had a really good opportunity to re-watch movies, I'm stuck with my first impression, which usually only encompasses about 80% of what's going on. With American movies, you can pay easier attention to them. I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but perhaps if my French or Spanish was a little better I'd be more easily impressed with those films.

btw I'm not surprised at your "outrage", but then again you shouldn't be overly surprised with my list.

I'd also like to mention Underground, which I forgot when making my list of foreign films, which was simply off the top of my head.

Postby Anasazie » Wed May 10, 2006 3:01 am

I prefer the challenge of reading the subtitles and the images, it's actually easy to take in the dialogue i think. i find that A-merican films don't have anywhere near as much going on anyway.

Postby A » Wed May 10, 2006 1:17 pm

Actually from the 6 films I've seen from your list, the three that are not on my Top Ten, could have been, maybe a year ago.
Ulysse's Gaze has been until recently my favorite film of all time for a couple of years.
Underground is a personal favorite that I've seen about 5 times.
Irma Vep is the only one that isn't a favorite, but I liked it very much when I saw it the last time at the cinema. I adore Maggie Cheung, and like Assayas` way of filmmaking. Some of the music from the film is sometimes still spinning in my head.

Postby Anasazie » Fri May 12, 2006 4:23 am

Sticking to only one per director, which was hard for Kieslowski and Kiarostami. It's a pretty crap list and i'm sure once i've seen more it'll be altered dramatically.

1. La Belle noiseuse (1991) - Jacques Rivette
2. The Garden (1990) - Derek Jarman
3. Beau travail (1999) - Claire Denis
4. La Double vie de Vronique (1991) - Krysztof Kieslowski
5. Ta'm e guilass / Taste of Cherry (1997) - Abbas Kiarostami
6. To Vlemma tou Odyssea / Ulysses Gaze (1995) - Theo Angelopoulos
7. Viagem ao Princpio do Mundo / Voyage to the Beginning of the World (1997) - Manoel de Oliveira
8. Tulitikkutehtaan tytt / The Match Factory Girl (1990) - Aki Kaurismaki
9. Le Tombeau d'Alexandre / The Last Bolshevik (1992) - Chris Marker
10. Lektionen in Finsternis / Lessons of Darkness (1992) - Werner Herzog

It was hard to leave out Crash (Cronenberg), Lost Highway (Lynch), Dead Man (Jarmusch), Festen (Vinterberg), Henry Fool or Flirt (Hartley), Underground (Kusturica), The Thin Red Line (Malick), Safe (Haynes), Short Cuts (Altman), Cremaster 2 (Barney) and Days of Being Wild (Wong) and many more i've probably forgotten to mention.

I haven't seen anything by Tarr, Hou, Tsai, Kore-eda or Godard from the 90s yet. Aside from a whole host of others.

Return to Lists and Recommendations