Top 10 of the 80s....

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Top 10 of the 80s....

Postby Anasazie » Tue May 23, 2006 1:49 am

Again, limited to one per director, which was actually hardest for Rohmer.

Not particularly comprehensive, but here goes....

1. Sans soleil (1983) - Chris Marker
2. L'Argent (1983) - Robert Bresson
3. Paris, Texas (1984) - Wim Wenders
4. Le Rayon vert / The Green Ray (1986) - Eric Rohmer
5. Nostalghia (1983) - Andrei Tarkovsky
6. Sauve qui peut (la vie) / Slow Motion (1980) - Jean-Luc Godard
7. Sans toit ni loi / Vagabond (1985) - Agnes Varda
8. Videodrome (1983) - David Cronenberg
9. Krtki film o milosci / A Short Film About Killing (1988) - Krysztof Kieslowski
10. Der Siebente Kontinent / The Seventh Continent (1989) - Michael Haneke

It was hardest to leave out Come and See (Klimov), Wings of Desire (Wenders), Full Metal Jacket (Kubrick), First Name Carmen (Godard), A Short Film About Love (Kieslowski), both A Full Moon in Paris & The Aviator's Wife (Rohmer) and Bladerunner (Scott).

With further honorable mention going to Ariel (Kaurismaki), Carravaggio (Jarman), Chocolat (Denis), Dead Ringers (Cronenberg), Identification of a Woman (Antonioni), The King of Comedy (Scorcese), A Zed & Two Noughts (Greenaway), Down By Law (Jarmusch), Blue Velvet (Lynch), Dark Eyes (Mikhalkov), Cobra Verde (Herzog) and Hector Babenco's Pixote.

The biggest disappointments i've had while checking out work from the 80s came in the shape of Bergman's Fanny & Alexander and Hou Hisiao-Hsien's A Time to Live & A Time to Die.

Be very interested to see everyone elses lists.

Re: Top 10 of the 80s....

Postby wpqx » Tue May 23, 2006 3:17 am

Well @#%$ this already got deleted once. I'll play along with your rules by selecting just one per director, but I'm going to break mine down foreign and domestic.

1. Berlin Alexanderplatz - Fassbinder
2. Landscape in the Mist - Angelopoulus
3. Ran - Kurosawa
4. Wings of Desire - Wenders
5. Fanny and Alexander - Bergman
6. Cobra Verde - Herzog
7. The Decalogue - Kieslowski
8. The Cyclist - Makhmalbaf
9. Akira - Otomo
10. Shoah - Lanzmann

1. Ordinary People - Redford
2. Raging Bull - Scorsese
3. The Shining - Kubrick
4. A Christmas Story - Clark
5. Pink Floyd's The Wall - Parker
6. Airplane - Zucker, Abraham, Zucker
7. Platoon - Stone
8. Do the Right Thing - Lee
9. Raising Arizona - Coen
10. The Princess Bride - Reiner

Lots of @#%$ I wish I could have put on. Videodrome was a tough choice to exclude, as was Predator, Die Hard, Last Temptation of Christ, Paris Texas, Nostalghia, Salvador, Drowning by Numbers, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, and Who Framed Roger Rabit? among many others.

Postby A » Tue May 23, 2006 5:02 am

Yeah we had this before (I recall also the 70s and 60s?)
But for me this list has changed by now anyway.
I never liked any one rule per director regulations, as I don't care so much about the director as for the film. So if the ten best films would actually be from one director... so be it.
Anyway, this hasn't happened yet, as i tend to love very few films by a single director...
What would also be important to say, is that I haven't revisited some of the mentioned films in a looooong time, so,... maybe I wouldn't rate them as high if'd see them again. So I promise to alter the list in the future.
But enough talk, here's the (current) list:

1. Paris, Texas (Wim Wenders / West Germany, France)
2. Possession (Andrzej Zulawski / West Germany, France)
3. Monsieur Hire M. Hire (Patrice Leconte / France)
4. Klassenverhltnisse Class Relations (Danile Huillet, Jean-Marie Straub / West Germany, France)
5. Zina (Ken McMullen / UK)
6. Stranger Than Paradise (Jim Jarmusch / USA)
7. Moonlighting (Jerzy Skolimowski / UK, West Germany)
8. Majo no takkybin "Kiki's Delivery Service" (Hayao Miyazaki / Japan)
9. Der Aufenthalt The Turning Point (Frank Beyer / East Germany)
10. Tenshi no tamago Angels Egg (Mamoru Oshii / Japan)

After trying to list only ten, I must say it was awfully difficult. Most of the films lie too close together in terms of quality, so I'll also list some runners-up in loose order of preference. Probably some of them will enter the list in the future...

Moznosti dialogu Dimensions of Dialogue (Jan Svankmajer / Czechoslovakia), Back to the Future Part II (Robert Zemeckis / USA), Sans soleil "Sunless" (Chris Marker / France), The Shining (Stanley Kubrick / USA, UK), Ran (Akira Kurosawa / Japan, France), Permanent Vacation (Jim Jarmusch / USA), L' enfant de l'hiver Winters Child(Olivier Assayas / France), Les ministres de l'art (Philippe Garrel / France), Kagemusha (Akira Kurosawa / Japan, France), L' amour mort Love Unto Death (Alain Resnais / France), Back to the Future (Robert Zemeckis / USA), Scarface (Brian De Palma / USA), La pirate "The Pirate" (Jacques Doillon / France), Sans toit ni loi "Vagabond" (Agnes Varda / France, UK), The unbearable Lightness of Being (Philip Kaufman / USA), Mauvais sang The Night is young (Leos Carax / France), The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover (Peter Greenaway / UK), Arousi-ye Khouban "Marriage of the Blessed" (Mohsen Makhmalbaf / Iran), Wu lang ba gua gun Eight Diagram Pole Fighter (Chia-Liang Liu / Hong Kong), Sign 'o' the Times (Prince / USA), Mortelle randonne Deadly run (Claude Miller / France), Blue Velvet (David Lynch / USA), Rosa Luxemburg (Margarethe von Trotta / West Germany), The Big Red One [reconstructed version] (Samuel Fuller / USA), Conan the Barbarian (John Milius / USA), Batman (Tim Burton / USA), Diva (Jean-Jacques Beineix / France), The accidental Tourist (Lawrence Kasdan / USA), The Year of Living Dangerously (Peter Weir / Australia), Nineteen Eighty-Four (Michael Radford / UK)

Postby madhuban » Tue May 23, 2006 6:07 am

Have been going up the wall trying to restrict myself to ten. Extremely difficult because some of directors I like (Rohmer, Wenders) have been prolific in the 80s and turned out very good films. This is also the decade when Indian cinema, post Ray and Ghatak, has produced some of the most exciting work.

1. Sans Soleil - Chris Marker
2. Ashik Kerib - Sergei Parajanov
3. Man of Iron - Andrzej Wajda
4. A Notebook on Clothes and Cities - Wim Wenders
5. Time of the Gypsies - Emir Kusturica
6. The Green Ray - Eric Rohmer
7. Vagabond - Agnes Varda
8. Fitzcarraldo - Werner Herzog
9. Om Dar-b-Dar - Kamal Swaroop
10. A City of Sadness - Hou Hiao-Hsien

The ones below could well have been on the list.

Amma Ariyan - John Abraham
Kaal Abhirati (Time Addiction) - Amitabh Chakraborty
Siddeshwari - Mani Kaul
Tangos, the Exile of Gardel - Fernando Solanas
Class Relations - Danile Huillet, Jean-Marie Straub
The Yellow Earth - Chen Kaige
Do You remember Dolly Bell? - Emir Kusturica
Hamlet Goes Business - Aki Kaurismaki
Full Moon in Paris - Eric Rohmer
Tokyo Ga, The State of Things and Paris/Texas - Wim Wenders
Time to Live, a Time to Die - Hou Hsiao-Hsien
Stranger than Paradise - Jim Jarmusch
Videodrome - David Cronenberg
Prenom Carmen & Slow Motion - Jean-Luc Godard
The Mystery of Oberwald - Michelangelo Antonioni
Where Is My Friend's Home? - Abbas Kiarostami
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and her Lover - Peter Greenaway

Postby A » Tue May 23, 2006 6:34 am

From the ten films you listed I've actually only seen 3. Besides the indian film (which I've never heard of) i have seen excerpts from some of the others, but I sadly haven't seen them yet 8although i had some lying around on Video at some point )
Some of your alternatives are also unfamiliar.
Seems like you are very knowledgable on the 80s? I hope so
How about writing some words about some of the lesser known films? I always enjoy yur contributions.

Postby madhuban » Tue May 23, 2006 8:48 am

@ A

Wouldn't claim to be knowledgeable about the 80s or any decade whatsoever. The logic is, the further back in time one goes, there are greater possibilities of my having had a chance to see those films (since it takes about a decade for a foreign film to reach India!)

I haven't seen quite a few films on your list too!

I'm not surprised that you haven't heard of Swaroop's film. Many cinephiles in India have never heard of it, or haven't seen it. There are two reasons for this - the National Film development Corporation (NFDC) that had been the primary (and the only) film funding institution, and was responsible for an outstanding crop of films till the early nineties, is virtually dead. Not only are they disinterested in releasing the films on DVD (I wonder if they have the money!), the negatives they possess are in poor condition More importantly, popular perception (even informed perception, at times) is that there is no Indian cinema after Mani Kaul that is worth talking about(who was taught by Ghatak and seen as the next great auteur), which is a blatant misconception. However, such perceptions determine what film should be restored and released on DVD. While the Buddhadeb Dasguptas and the Aparna Sens are able to network and do the international festival circuit, the more exciting filmmakers from the 70s and 80s remain unknown in their own part of the world. Even Mani Kaul's films haven't seen a DVD release. "Kaal Abhirati" (1989) is, perhaps, the best Bengali film made after the Ray-Ghatak period, and it is sad that most Bengalis have never seen it!

I think I've mentioned most of these films on the Indian cinema thread. Will try and review them.

Postby A » Wed May 24, 2006 9:28 am

Well with me it's much worse, as I only started watching films regularly in the 90s. So from there on i know quite a bit, but the further I go back, the fewer I've seen.
That's probably also the main reason why I am mostly watching "older" films all of the time

Seems like the situation in India is a bit similar to the situation here in germany. Here also everybody thinks german cinema died with Rainer Werner Fassbinder, and from the 70s, most people only now Herzog and Wenders works (and maybe some Straub/Huillet and Schlndorff). When you also had here, back then even internationally known directors like Herbert Achterbusch, Hark Bohm, Bernhard Sinkel, Helmuth Costard, Hans Geissendrfer, Alexander Kluge, Reinhard Hauff, Peter lilienthal, Alexander Kluge, Edgar Reitz, Hans-Jrgen Syberberg or Werner Schroeter to name but a few. And this is only West Germany! The east had their own great directors
Speaking of the current times, this quantity and quality is imo matched, but this time there are no outstanding figures and no movement to hang the attention on (as well as not many international awards.) It is interesting to note that the "Ne German film" movement when it began in the early 60s wasn't appreciated here in Germany. It was only after they had been internationally recognized, that german critics took up their case in the 70s.

Would be great to see you take some unknown Indian films under closer observation!

I'll try to do something like that with german and Yugoslavian (slovenian) film over time (cause i have naturally access to much of it), but I'm often a lazy bastard.

Postby wpqx » Wed May 24, 2006 2:42 pm

I have almost an opposite problem than A. I'm very far behind on international cinema of recent decades. Primarily because everytime I try and get some films I haven't seen I generally try and get the earliest film I can find from a director, so I have a lot of things covered from the 50's, 60's and to a lesser extent the 70's, but the last couple decades I'm in rather bad shape. Generally I think that most recent (25 years or so) of foreign films have become very Americanized, as America has culturally taken over the world it seems and Hollywood films dominate nearly every international market. On the other end I'm in pretty good shape with almost every year of American movies.

Postby A » Thu May 25, 2006 1:46 pm

I think it's great that you know so much about american films.
Being proficient in at least one country or area is something I can't claim, yet. But your problem with recent films is starting to pop up with me from about 2003 onwards (due to my watching more older films). But I hope I've caught up a bit with ths year's Berlinale

Postby madhuban » Thu May 25, 2006 2:33 pm

@ A

Ironically, the german embassy in India screens Achterbusch, Sinkel, Kluge, Schroeter and Syberberg quite regularly

Return to Lists and Recommendations