Best ever - What the fimmakers think

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Best ever - What the fimmakers think

Postby A » Sun May 21, 2006 4:56 am

Wjile surfing on the net for over 12 hours in a row - I admit it's great sitting in front of your own PC again - I encountered this interesting list.
I'm sure some of you may already be familiar with it, but for those of you who aren't, here it is.
Sight and Sound asked dozens of filmmakers for their personal Top Ten lists and got plenty of answers.
But let me warn you, that no big revelations are to come. It's usually standard stuff (like all of our lists ):

www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/topten/poll/list.php?list=voters&votertype=director
A

Re: Best ever - What the fimmakers think

Postby wpqx » Sun May 21, 2006 6:49 pm

I went through almost all of them. I did some 20 page term paper on the last Sight and Sound Poll, so I'm rather familiar with almost everyone's choices. Still fascinating to look at though.
wpqx

Postby A » Sun May 21, 2006 9:56 pm

Yet I found some unique lists, but rather from critics than directors. Interesting to find this out. I would have thought it to be otherwise. But Tarantino had a fine list
A

Postby Anasazie » Mon May 22, 2006 5:34 am

Quote:But Tarantino had a fine list

Please can i make a comment, please........ it's like your asking me too......
Anasazie

Postby madhuban » Mon May 22, 2006 7:57 am

I keep looking up this list quite often. And though I'm not a great Loach fan, his list is after my heart - two Formans and the gem from Menzel

M
madhuban

Postby wpqx » Mon May 22, 2006 2:42 pm

I must have to agree with Anasazie on this one. Tarantino's list has a couple of good films, but yeah can't say it exactly falls with my tastes, but on the other hand nothing is really surprising. Michael Haneke's list looks like it could just as easily be Anasazie's list.

Apparently Iain Softley and I have the most similar tastes. Now if I could just find out who the hell Iain Softley is I might find a worthwhile filmmaker (or at least a likeminded one).
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Mon May 22, 2006 2:44 pm

Spoke too soon. I've seen two films from Softley, one was the (at the time) entertaining Hackers with a pre-famous Angelina Jolie. The other was his first film, Backbeat which I've always loved, and which features one hell of a performance by Stephen Dorff.
wpqx

Postby Don Lope de Aguirre » Mon May 22, 2006 3:13 pm

Wow.

Tarantino's list is HORRIBLE.
Don Lope de Aguirre

Postby madhuban » Mon May 22, 2006 3:34 pm

@ Don Lope de Aguirre

("Wow" followed by "horrible" in caps)

I think he purposefully put together such a list. He's a bit of a showman and likes shocking people. I don't think anybody would take such a list seriously!

M
madhuban

Postby A » Mon May 22, 2006 9:45 pm

I like Tarantino's list, because it is very individual (haven't seen all of the films mentioned). I can't believe everybody has such similar taste in films. With the other filmmakers it seems often like "how do I sound more credible", than YOUR ten best films ever. I mean if I would send such a list, it would contain the ten best films I've seen, no matter how "ridiculous" it might appear to others.
As for Iain Softley. He seems to have good taste, but his own films don't show it (like with many filmmakers ). So far I have seen Hackers (pretty bad), Wings of the Dove (interesting) and K-Pax (messy, but has interesting bits as well as Jeff Bridges ). I can't say he's a filmmaker to look out for, or one I care for making more films.
A

Next

Return to Lists and Recommendations