Favorite American film?

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Favorite American film?

Postby wpqx » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:28 pm

Accessible or not, I loved it. I found Faces to be a bit of a mess, great potential but wound up being too much yelling and not enough purpose. The day will certainly come when I'll watch it again, and it may produce a different reaction, but I've generally enjoyed Cassavettes acting roles more. As a companion piece though I enjoyed Shadows a lot more, seemed freer to me, and more significant in terms of the type of film he made there. Faces came out in 1968 when many other, and imo better, independent and artistic movies were being released.

Postby A » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:23 pm

Dead Man (1995 / Jim Jarmusch)

Postby Don Lope de Aguirre » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:24 pm

We are in complete agreement, A.
Don Lope de Aguirre

Postby Anasazie » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:53 pm

Faces is wiser than Shadows. I agree with your comment about Shadows feeling "freer", but people aren't free, they're trapped inside this society and their interactions with it and Faces protrays this truer than any film i've seen. Life is a mess, people are a mess, interactions are a mess, they're not nicely packaged like a lot of the cinema you seem to be into is. There's so much sadness, so much desperation, so much ugliness in that film. Yet every character is screaming for some kind of freedom. It's spot on. People spend 10 years in university studying for psychology doctorates apparantly because they're interested in human behaviour even though most of them hardly have any interactions with the people they're "studying", but that's another issue, anyway my point is that they'll learn more about the nature of human interactions from a John Cassavetes film than they ever could attending those institutions.

Postby A » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:03 pm

Good point, though i haven't seen any of the films (or by Cassavettes for that case).
I overall tend to like "freer" films, but my absolute favorites are usually about people struggling against human (society's) restrictions. If they fail or succeed on the outside isn't very important. What is, is the importance of such a struggle. Because freedom can only be achieved inwardly, and its results can never be final. See for example most (if not all) of my top 20 films for examples of
success in the struggle for it (Dead Man, Eureka),
failure (The mother and the whore, Barry Lyndon)
both and neither (Black god white devil)
sometimes the protagonists aren't aware of it (Tokyo Decadence)
or sometimes a filmmaker tries to expose the whole @#%$ and give us new hope - death and rebirth (2001 - a space odyssey)
or he wants us to do something about it, here and now (Zabriskie point)
But luckily, though this struggle is intrinsic in our nature as human beings, the achievemnt of freedom is even more so regarding the universe. The whole process of change is a process o freeing oneself from what came before. So for me all this films also give an incredible hope, and a strength for my own life.

Postby Anasazie » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:39 pm

Nice comments A. I agree with all that. There is an absolutely amazing moment of freedom in Faces which completely blew me away, breath-taking and exhilirating. I won't say to much because i don't want to ruin it. But check it out!

Postby A » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:15 am

Thanks. Yeah I've read some pretty good pieces on Cassavettes and especially on the different versions of "Shadows", but he doesn't seem to be available much here in Germany (dubbed yes, but that is not an issue).
I'm probably more surprised that I haven't seen a film by Cassavettes yet, than anybody else.

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:44 pm

3.The Wild Bunch
4.Some Like It Hot
5.Killer Of Sheep
6.On The Waterfront
7.The Searchers
8.Magnificent Ambersons
9.The Killers
10 Force Of Evil
& lots & lots more

Postby wpqx » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:31 am

I'm almost surprised you didn't include Renoir's The Southerner in your list (just figured any excuse for Renoir). I'm still patiently waiting for Milestone to clear the rights to Burnett's Killer of Sheep and put it out on a proper DVD before I see it, but my expecations couldn't possibly be higher for it. I know a few people who are quite fond of The Magnificent Ambersons, but care to interject as to why you find it better than other Welles films, particularly Kane and Touch of Evil?

Return to Lists and Recommendations