Top Ten (2005)

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Top Ten (2005)

Postby wpqx » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:44 am

You might also want to make a rule explaining having 26 films as opposed to just 10, I know last year was a pretty good year for movies, but damn.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:30 am

Actually, these are just "the cream of the crop." I still have to post another batch of films that aren't far behind. 2005 wasn't merely a good year, it was a GREAT year in film (at least when it comes to films that came out in the U.S.) Watch the latest from Denis and Rivette and the two from Bellocchio, etc. and your list might expand too! (Anyway, my list is relatively short compared to one from A.)
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:08 am

arsaib4, I was wondering if Innocence had been released in the U.S. I'm quite surprised you haven't commented on it. Also thank's for reminding me of a few others like the enchanting The Story of Marie and Julien and the joyous Mad Hot Ballroom, both of which should have made it into my listings.

Still waiting for The World and others.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:04 am

Innocence received limited theatrical distribution in the U.S. I didn't get to see it on the big-screen, so I had to borrow the French DVD from a friend. I haven't yet gotten to a lot of films that deserve to be talked about, including Innocence, but you and John have written about it so well that there isn't much for me to add.

The World is now out on DVD in the U.S., just to let you know. Avoid the "official" Chinese version which is severely edited.
arsaib4

Postby Anasazie » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:58 am

@ WPX

You have much "broader" taste than me.

Obvious, literal, preachy melodrama like Crash mixed with highly original, timely, important, innovation like The World. Not to mention Angeloplous and Pride & Prejudice appearing on the same list.

What do you see in those moronic mainstream films?
Anasazie

Postby wpqx » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:40 pm

Well not as if my tastes need defending but a good bit of melodrama can go a long way. Obviously looking at arsaib's list I wasn't the only person fond of Crash. To me the film spoke on a timely issue with a nice mixture of compassion and entertainment. As much as I love foreign films, due to my upbringing and location, my greatest exposure is to US releases, and the easiest films to see are mainstream. I completely missed Innocence, if in fact it ever was released in the US. Likewise there are a lot of films I still need to see, but I felt I saw enough to comment on the ten best of the year.

As for my taste well its always like this. I mean looking at my list from 1980, my two favorite films are Berlin Alexanderplatz and Ordinary People, certainly a contrasting pair. I'm sorry you find my taste for "moronic mainstream films" appalling, but you shouldn't be too quick to dismiss them. Some critics become quite the opposite, movie snobs dismissing first rate films just because they have a large budget and are playing in mainstream theaters. I also don't find much of a stretch including Pride and Prejudice and the Weeping Meadow on the same list. Both films are period pictures with strong female leads shot primarily with long tracking shots, perhaps I only put Pride ahead because it had a sense of humor whereas Angelopoulus' film was almost completly downbeat.

btw where's your list?
wpqx

Postby Anasazie » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:13 pm

@ WP

I'm not the kind of person to right a film off because it has a large budget (i didn't realise Crash did have one), but i am the kind of person to right of self-righteous preachy melodrama, and Crash was most definitely that.

I don't tend to check much mainstream stuff out because i don't like the way the money always ends up in the hands of the same A-mericans and i won't go to the multiplexes.

Do you want a list of films that IMDB says were first released in 2005 or a list of 'new' films that i first saw in 2005? (i live in Oz and we're behind so they'd be drastically different) The latter would be hard to come up with because it'd be a push to remember exactly when i saw most films, but i can try if you really are interested?
Anasazie

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:56 am

If Crash is a preachy melodrama then we could use a few more of 'em in this country as long as they fairly deal with the issue of race. Think of the film as a stage play, with different characters confronting each other in various acts. (Haggis even winks at the audience near the end when he has a character involved in exactly the same situation he started the film with, thus emphasizing the cyclical nature of the problem.)
arsaib4

Postby Anasazie » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:27 am

It's not good to assume that someone hasn't understood a piece of art or hasn't picked up on little details just because they haven't adored it as much as you.

I saw right through it, i don't like being preached to. Crash made me feel like i'd been shouted out. You can sum all the intricate problems of racial tension in one film without being stereotypical and presumptuous. Crash is most definitely both of those things.

This country? USA? I'm not from there so why would i be interested?
Anasazie

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:43 am

It's quite obvious at this point that you aren't capable of replying in a thoughtful manner, so I'd be wasting my time by going any further.
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations