Your top 10 foreign language films

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Your top 10 foreign language films

Postby Anasazie » Tue May 09, 2006 5:04 am

Quote:In your defense Anasazie, top ten lists rarely if ever offer a comprehensive view of cinematic tastes.

What does that mean? Are you talking about the Franco/Italiano comment i made?

Have you seen Paisa? It's not manipulative at all, i find it quite subtle and it has much more going on than that silly neo-realist label suggests, just like Germany, Year Zero does. It's not a De Sica film dude!

You'd hate the Pasolini film WP, it's very different to the others of his that i've seen.

Postby wpqx » Tue May 09, 2006 1:44 pm

Well that might be a good thing regarding Pasolini, I've found nearly all of his films flawed in some way (Gospel being the closest to a masterpiece imo). Yes, I have seen Paisa, and I didn't find it any more subtle than Open City or Germany Year Zero. De Seca is characteristically a little more sentimental, perhaps why his films were more popular here (or at least with the Academy). I think Rossellini is a far better director and filmmaker, but I preferred his later, more introspective films. Perhaps he can be excused but his first few films were all obsessed with WWII, and perhaps I've just seen too damn many films about the war.

As for that comment, I was saying that top ten lists are limited by nature. Perhaps a list of the top ten Iranian films you've seen might be accurate, or a top ten for a specific year, but when you try and list all the international films made in all years and narrow it to ten choices, it can't possibly express your tastes accurately. Hell I wonder if even 100 films can.

Postby Anasazie » Wed May 10, 2006 3:05 am

The Rossellini film in question is about much more than just world war 2 specifically, it's about all conflict and the aftermath of that, be it in a small psychological level or a huge world war level. It's about human nature and it's ability to adapt. It's not plain and american, so you kind of have to read it a bit deeper. I realise that most american war films are very one dimensional and i'm sure your over-indulging of war films is because of the american ones, but i'd definitely recommend re-watching Paisa if you can.

Return to Lists and Recommendations