Worst film from a Great Director

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Worst film from a Great Director

Postby Unregistered(d) » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:00 pm

(This post is missing and can not be restored)
Unregistered(d)

Worst film from a Great Director

Postby wpqx » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:30 pm

We had this before, but lately watching Luna from Bertolucci the topic sprang up again. Sometimes a director has a serious case of writers block, or sometimes he just gets a little too ambitious, or sometimes they just have rather shaky beginnings, for whatever reason even the greatest directors are prone to make horrible pieces of @#%$. So use this thread to voice your opinion on the great directors worst films.
wpqx

Postby A » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:45 am

Haven't seen a bad film from a director I consider great, but if I'll stumble across one (or remember it) I'll post.
I'm very curious about the posts.
A

Postby trevor826 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:42 pm

I don't know about Great Director, probably too soon to say that but Takeshi Kitano's "Getting Any" is an atrociously bad taste comedy, full of smutty schoolboy humour and well below any of his other films.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:34 pm

Consider both directors great, but I haven't seen the mentioned films,yet. I'm curious to my reaction when I'll see them in the future, as my expectations are very low now.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:53 pm

Bertolucci has made enough bad films that I question his Great Director status, but then he's made The Conformist, Before the Revolution and Besieged.

Anyway, Oliver Stone's U-Turn qualifies even though it might become a "cult" film in the future. Eastwood has made a few.
arsaib4

Postby gratefultiger » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:45 pm

Antonioni's ridiculous "Zabriskie Point"easily the biggest turkey
from a major director,that wonderful sound track(Grateful Dead,Pink Floyd,John Fahey etc) is the only redeeming feature.Being An old hippie with a haircut this pile of crap gives us old bastards a bad name!
Ps i hardly rate "Oliver Stoned" as a great director but he does make some horrible films.
Cheers Chas
gratefultiger

Postby wpqx » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:41 am

Perhaps not a great director, but I'd rate Arthur Penn's Alice's Restuarant the same. It is obnoxious hippie crap and the film is horribly lousy. Ironically though, Arlo Guthrie's album that it's based on is pretty damn good, just didn't convert to the screen as well as people might have hoped.
wpqx

Postby kookook » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:25 pm

Titanic ... by far. One of the worst films ever. "As Good As It Gets" or "L.A. Confidential" should both have come in ahead of that lump of poo.

Also ...

Forrest Gump ... that movie got a monstrous eye roll from me also. I would have preferred Pulp Fiction, or even Shawshank at the time, although I'm pretty sick of it now.

Dances With Wolves ... this movie was ridiculous ... hey how about "Goodfellas?" I guess it split the "mafia" vote.

Rain Man ... supposedly this is supposed to be a great movie, but I find it completely boring. My attention wanders off every time I try to watch it. Dangerous Liaisons would have been a better pick in my opinion.

And that's as far back as my opinion will go because before that, I either agree or was too young or nonexistent to understand the context of the films in their times.
kookook

Postby A » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:49 pm

So, you consider these directors great? (James Cameron, Robert Zemeckis, Kevin Costner, Barry Levinson).
Imo Forrest Gump is one of the best films of the year, and Dances with Wolves also. Titanic and Rain Man I liked, but I only consider Zemeckis a great director. But Kostner is a strong contender with three astounding films, and a fine popcorn -movie (waterworld). Or maybe it's just that I like Kevin Costner...
A

Next

Return to Lists and Recommendations