Worst film from a Great Director

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Worst film from a Great Director

Postby wpqx » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:17 pm

I think it is. Speaking of popcorn directors, James Cameron has consistently made some of the most entertaining movies around. I mean True Lies is hardly a masterpiece, but damn if it isn't fun to watch.

btw it really looks as though this topic was misread as a place to bitch about Oscar selection, which is always welcome around here.
wpqx

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:48 pm

i wouldn't take james cameron or kevin costner to a @#%$ fight as targets!
gratefultiger

Postby MikLosk » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:45 pm

I wrote my opinion on this topic.
One of the worst films by a really great director (I didn't consider such directors as e.g. Cameron, he-he) is La Vocce della Luna by Fellini - his last film.

Oh, and Antonioni's last Eros is a piece of crap. I think he shouldn't make movies more.
MikLosk

Postby madhuban » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:09 am

hi miklosk, i agree with you. It is painful to see Antonioni (a director whose work i like very much) deteriorating with every film from "Zabriskie Point" onwards. His segment in "Eros" is the worst piece of filmmaking i've seen in years. "Beyond the Clouds" was equally bad. He's simply lost it! I would love to remember the Antonioni of "Il Grido", the trilogy (L'Avventura, La Notte and L'Eclisse), "Red Desert", "The Passenger", "Blow-Up" and a much lesser known "The Mystery of Oberwald".

M
madhuban

Postby wpqx » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:33 pm

Zabriskie Point has it's moments, although a severely flawed film, and a little too much hippie crap for my liking. I think he rebounded nicely with The Passenger, which is actually my favorite film of his.
wpqx

Postby Anasazie » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:38 am

Zabriskie Point is absolutely fantastic, using the camera as another character, sometimes the main character. It's almost as good as his greatest film The Passenger.

Anyone slagging off Michelangelo's recent work should probably realise that the guy can no longer speak and his films are directed second-hand by his wife, or Wim "i've disappeared up my own bum" Wenders.
Anasazie

Postby madhuban » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:41 am

@Anasazie

Wim's latest offering, the 10-minute short, "Twelve Miles to Trona", which is part of the "Ten minutes Older: The Trumpet" anthology is a visually stunning film. I haven't given up on Wenders yet!

M
madhuban

Postby Anasazie » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:30 am

@Madhuban

Wenders latest film is Don't Come Knocking, i haven't seen it yet. He's also made Soul of a Man, which i found condescending and trite, and Land of Plenty, which i couldn't believe was made by the same guy who directed Paris, Texas, since that Trumpet thing you mentioned, so it's not even close to be his most recent work. I actually think the directing credits of Land of Plenty are a hoax and it was really made by a cross-bread of Oliver Stone and Michael Bay. Obvious, strangely patriotic, didactic, literal, dull etc etc. Probably the worst film i've paid money to see in 2 years. I have well and truly given up on Wenders. His work has become so self-important.
Anasazie

Postby madhuban » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:32 pm

@Anasazie

I live in a country where a foreign film takes at least two years to arrive Now you know why "Twelve Miles to Trona" seems fairly recent to me But, giving up on Wenders will be hard.

M
madhuban

Postby A » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:00 pm

Agree on Anasazie with Zabriskie Point. One of my Top 20 films.
From "recent" Wenders I've only seen Million Dollar Hotel which I liked very much, The End of Violence which was very good imo, and Buena Vista Social Club, also good, though not as strong. The short on the compilation didn't impress me very much.
I don't know if he's lost it, although he is nowhere the man who made Paris, Texas (another of my Top 20).
A

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations