My TOP50 Soviet films

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: My TOP50 Soviet films

Postby MikLosk » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:10 am

Ok, I continue...

Aelita - silent sci-fi by Protazanov. Not very good, but technically interesting.
Volga Volga - old naive comedy. A bit outdated, but quite enjoyable.
The Lady with the Dog - Chekhov screening. Not the best. You'd better see Heifits's My beloved
MikLosk

Postby madhuban » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:46 am

MikLosk,

Like John I've seen about half of your first list, but you are gradually revealing other unheard of treasures! This community is such a precious reference for films to seek out!

M
madhuban

Postby MikLosk » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:00 pm

madhuban, I'm glad to hear that my list can be useful for someone.
Number of active members in our community is not very great, but all of them make it very interesting.
MikLosk

Postby trevor826 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:00 pm

I've only seen 13 from your list, apart from the silent classics and Tarkovsky, we get very little in the way of Russian releases in the UK.

Looks like I'll have to start importing some, does anyone know of any good suppliers?

Cheers Trev
trevor826

Postby Johndav » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:16 pm

I got some DVD'S from amazon.com (US)- to buy for multi-region player; eg Barnet, Iosseliani, Tale of Tales. For rental try Lovefilm (i'm cut off from them now i'm in France), and of course Moviemail are an excellent UK suppliers of world cinema. Sorry can't be more specific.
Johndav

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:10 am

Since Kozintsev's King Lear is on your list, John, I'd also go for Hamlet. From the versions I've seen, it's the definite one for me. Simply breathtaking to watch and listen to.

Trev, try this site.
arsaib4

Postby gululv » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:43 pm

What about Muratova's "Getting to Know the Big Wide World"? Have you seen that? I read that it is the film Muratova herself likes best of the films she has made.
gululv

Postby A » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:07 pm

Much thanks for your list Mik!!
Ferom the ones you listed I've only seen 13, which are imo all essential. The problem here in Germany is availability also (as I don't speak russian I need subtitles).
But the films I want to see the most are the early films by Paradjanov (e.g. Flower on the Stone, Ukrainian Raphsody, The first Lad) . The excerpts I've seen from this were absolutely breathtaking to me.
Could you maybe write something about those?
A

Previous

Return to Lists and Recommendations