Reccomend me some good movies in Spanish!!!

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Reccomend me some good movies in Spanish!!!

Postby AleDanSal » Sat May 26, 2001 3:04 am

I have seen: Amores Perros, Like Water for Chocalate, Tie me up tie me down, Sexo Pudor y Lagrimas, Danzon. Please reccomend me some more!

Oh yeah, It doesnt matter what language but are there any other movies like, Like Water for Chocalate, out on video that are good? Thanks.
AleDanSal

Re: Reccomend me some good movies in Spanish!!!

Postby mtdenotto » Wed May 30, 2001 8:01 pm

Anything by Almodovar and jamon jamon
mtdenotto

Postby jecakehayias » Mon Jun 04, 2001 8:34 pm

I would recommend: El Lado Oscuro del Corazon (one of my favorites - Argentina)El Dia de la
Bestia (Spain), La Estrategia del Caracol (Sergio Cabrera - Director,
Colombian)... For now those come to mind but I can assure you they are excelent...
Enjoy!
jecakehayias

Postby LeStudio146 » Thu Jun 07, 2001 9:49 pm

you have to see "CRIA CUERVOS" by SAURA.
"Los Olvidados" by bunuel
"EL Diputado"
"que habre hecho para merecer esto" by Almadovar
LeStudio146

Postby ranger » Thu Jun 14, 2001 12:23 am

I don't speak spanish, but one of my all time favorite movies was "Carmen." I don't remember the director's name. You'll like the movie more if you like flamenco. The movie is basically about a flamenco company staging a flamenco version of the opera Carmen. However, the movie plot parallels the opera plot sometimes to the point where you're not sure if you're watching their rehersal or the movie characters. It got excellant reviews.

Ranger

Ranger
ranger

Postby rberanek » Thu Jul 05, 2001 2:36 am

I think you'd enjoy "Abre los ojos",sort of a thriller with twists, "The Lovers", a true story of deception and murder case - don't know the directors of those, "Matador" and "High Heels" by Almodovar, and perhaps anything by Luis Bunuel, e.g. "Viridiana".
rberanek

Postby sobejac16 » Wed Sep 12, 2001 11:33 am

You can look at anything by Luis Bunuel, Pedro Almodovar
Juan A. Bardem, Berlanga or Carlos Saura, among many
others, but for begin or have a good introduction those
are perfect.
sobejac16

Postby kafkid » Wed Sep 12, 2001 11:18 pm

The 1966 film called THE HUNT is an excellent film by Carlos Suara. This is an overloked and largly ignored masterpiece. I only managed to see it myself when it was screened on Oz TV [SBS] in the mid-80s.
kafkid

Postby Hectate » Sun Sep 30, 2001 7:12 am

Ya guys forgot to mentioned the delightful and yet redolent to lust--Trueba's BELLE EPOQUE.

The best opening for a character ever--was when Manolo's wife, Amalia--cames in midsection of the film, simply hysterical, yet endearing, in an aria-way.

They showed this film in Bravo a couple of times too, so I hear.
Hectate

Postby john-5 » Sun Dec 30, 2001 4:39 pm

i'd say El Espiritu de la Colmena/Spirit of the Beehive is the greatest Spanish film i've seen(i'm not the greatest fan of Bunuel and Almodovar,who are the most famous and admired Spanish directors.I very much enjoyed 3 films by Julio Medem-Los Amantes del Circulo Polar/Lovers of the Arctic Circle; Tierra; and La Ardilla Roja/The Red Squirrel.Belle Epoque was a pleasant sexy frolic, though hardly earth-shattering cinema.Amores Perros is probably the best Mexican film i've seen.I understand El Compadre Mendoza is perhaps the best pre-war Mexican film(haven't seen it).La Hora de los Hornos/The Hour of the Furnaces and La Casa del Angel/The House of the Angel are important Argentinian films.From Chile, i enjoyed La Frontera.Back to Spain;Cria Cuervos, mentioned above, is indeed a fine film.
john-5

Next

Return to Film Talk