BEST of ASIA

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

BEST of ASIA

Postby chard09 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:17 am

A response to our comrade here who asked who are the best filmmakers in ASIA:

Now, it's Asia. Anyway, here's mine. Some of my picks may not be the best but their works are worth watching in my opinion. Some here I just read from books and Internet which I find to be very interesting to check out.

Zhang Yimou -- with works like Red Sorghum and Raise the Red Lantern, he gained worldwide attention. Filled with lyrical beauty, great use of colors and women oppression on some films as theme. Also, To Live is a must-see. It'll change your outlook of Chinese cinema.

Hou Hsiao-Hsien -- somebody in the poll mentioned that one of his major themes is identity. City of Sadness is a wow-- great narrative and visuals.

Tsai Ming-Liang -- don't be intimidated to watch his films although it may be hard to watch a 'silent' film. His strong use of visuals, wit and humor, and being compared to Bresson and Ozu, he won't let you get bored.

Wong Kar-Wai -- a personal favorite. His themes of love, 'lost people,' and struggling lovers, he is a master of emotions. His films move me not because of its story, but how he values emotions, how it can move you. Their too affecting that it leaves you nostalgic for a few days.

Abbas Kiarostami -- a major filmmaker. Great visual style. A long and winding road. Never thought off-screen space could be very interesting. Likewise, the blurring of boundaries between fiction and reality.

Korean directors - Kim Ki Duk and Chang-Dong Lee

Japanese directors -- The Big Three + Kitano, Kore-eda, Aoyama

Mohsen and Samira Makhmalbaf

Tranh Ann Hung's three films: Cyclo, Scent of Green Papaya and At the Height of Summer

Jafar Panahi-- The Circle- a powerful accounts of women in Iran: The White Balloon- strong political statement

Satyajit Ray and Ritwik Ghatak

Lino Brocka's political ideologies, his fight for the poor and the need for a government that serves the masses. Maynila: Sa Mga kuko ng Liwanag, Orapronobis, Bayan Ko, Insiang..

Ishmael Bernal's theme of relationships-- Relasyon, Broken Marriage.. and the exceptional Manila By Night -- the Manila we're afraid to see.

Mike de Leon -- great technical expertise; Kisapmata-superbly powerful political statement with a family as the metaphor; he's very good on almost all genres: comedy- Kakabakaba ka ba? (Are you nervous), love story- Kumng mangarap ka't magising; even about brotherhood and youth-- Batch 81
chard09

Re: BEST of ASIA

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:39 pm

I think you've covered just about everyone who's deemed "important." Here are a couple more for now.

Taiwanese filmmaker Edward Yang (A Brighter Summer Day) doesn't get as much print due to 2 obvious reasons (Hou and Tsai).

Apichatpong Weerasethakul (Mysterious Objects At Noon/Blissfully Yours/Tropical Malady) and Pen-ek-Ratanaruang (6ixtynin9/Last Life in the Universe) have made some wonderful films out of Thailand.
arsaib4

Postby A » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:40 am

Don't know what to add.
You've named all I know and admire, and also the ones I haven't seen yet.
A

Postby madhuban » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:40 am

some additions from India though they are damn difficult to find...perhaps the festival circuit might showcase some of them:

Adoor Gopalakrishnan (especially, "Face to Face", "Monologue" and "Rat Trap")
G. Aravindan (look out for "The Bogeyman")
Mani Kaul ("Our Daily Bread", "One Monsoon Day", "Dhrupad", "Siddheshwari" and "The Servant's Shirt")
Govind Nihalani ("Cry of the Wounded", "Half-Truth", "Party", "Rukmavati Ki Haveli" based on Lorca's play "The House of Barnarda Alba)
Shyam Benegal (his trilogy - "The Seedling", "Night's End" and "The Churning";"The Role"; "Past, Present, Future"; "Seventh Horse of the Sun")

M
madhuban

Return to Lists and Recommendations