The Best Trilogy Ever!

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: The Best Trilogy Ever!

Postby trevor826 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:45 pm

(admin: merged from another thread)

There have been quite a few trilogies down the years, a lot of the time they're just to repeat and rake in the cash from a films success but now and again they're planned as trilogies and as such can be of a high standard.

As usual either pick your fave from the choices or list your own, it would also be nice to know why it's your fave so feel free to write as much as you want.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:07 pm

I voted for other, as it is the Back to the future trilogy, that is best imo. It wasn't conceived as atrilogy initially, but expanded after the success of the first, but I think it makes a perfect whole, with the second part being the best.
I love those three films, because they seem as one long film to me.
As for the excuse, why I've voted for a trilogy that wasn't planned as such, The Apu trilogy was also completed with the second film, and the third was kind of added afterwards. :)
A

Postby trevor826 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:42 pm

A
I was expecting you to pick the Back to the Future trilogy, I even considered putting it as one of the choices just for you.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:13 pm

Now of the choices listed the Man With No Name Trilogy is by far the best, but there's more not menitoned.

Close among my favorites would be Andrzej Wajda's WWII trilogy, which was recently released complete on DVD by Criterion btw. But well you guys are missing a very, very obvious choice and that's the original Star Wars Trilogy. Sure it is a six part set, but A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi is cinematic perfection to me, and I'll always think so. I grew up with the films and you'll probably never hear me bash any of them. I may have numerous complaints with Phantom Menace, and there may be flaws in episodes two and three (most notably the overdone computer animation), but there's no topping the first three. Just wish I could see them in their original format again, tampering with classics should be illegal.
wpqx

Postby trevor826 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:15 pm

That's the problem with only 5 choices, I thought people would have complained because the Godfather trilogy was missing!

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby hengcs » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:17 am

Hey,

I have wanted to mention
-- The Star Wars Trilogy
-- The Godfather Trilogy
-- Back to the Future Trilogy
-- The Matrix Trilogy (no takers?!)

But, you people have mentioned most of them.
;)

Anyway, I voted for Lord of the Rings ... due to recency effect and maybe because it looks more continuous and consistent than the other three ... ha ha ha ... you know why? because they are filmed at the same time ... ha ha ha ... actually another selling point is: both critics and movie goers like it!!!

Anyway, I think the votes will be primarily split between Lord of the Rings and Star Wars ... dep on whether you are a special effects person or a classic person ... ha ha ha ...

-- I am less for Godfather because the 3rd was a let down ...
-- I am also less for the Colours Trilogy because it is too artsy for some
-- I am also less for The Matrix because 1 is excellent, but 2 is ok (dragged down by the 1st hour of the film) ... and 3 is ... (oh no, I can't recall clearly what happens in 3 ...)

I also want to mention
-- The Infernal Affairs Trilogy (though only 1 is excellent, 2 is good, 3 is really *no comments*)
hengcs

Postby kookook » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:28 pm

SCREAM-TRILOGY

i thought the second was really good and scary and the van scene was great yeh but i preferred the third. I love the way it all wrapped up and tied together nicely. And a nice appearance from Randy (the geek guy) telling the rules of a trilogy, which was a great idea by the director. To have all these rules come into play, and these different backstories tying up.
What is your Aphrodisiac ???
You never really knew what turned people on until this list.
kookook

Postby wpqx » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:54 am

Wow didn't expect Scream to get a mention here. Never actually saw the third, kind of gave up after the sequel. Horror movie sequels are extremely derivitive, and never ending. Just wait in another couple of years there'll be a Scream 4, it's just the rules of horror, have one slightly original idea and sequel the hell out of it 'til it can't even be marketed straight to video.
wpqx

Postby Sara » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:19 pm

I voted for the Apu Trilogy.

The Godfather Trilogy is weakened by Godfather 3.

Sara
Sara

Postby gratefultiger » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:53 am

The Human Condition trilogy(japan) & The Gorky trilogy(ussr) are up top with the best & the numer uno for me will always be "The Apu Trilogy"
gratefultiger

Next

Return to Lists and Recommendations