The Last Film Seen

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: The Last Film Seen

Postby dahiver » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:48 am

My last film:

Spring, summer, autumn, winter,... and spring

Very good!
dahiver

Postby trevor826 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:32 am

The sublime "Historias Minimas", always a good experience.
trevor826

Postby nate » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:45 pm

Last movie I've seen in theater is "Santa-Santita" from Unitel Pictures who also produced the movie "Crying Ladies" which is a finalist for the Oscar Foreign film category.
In dvd, I've watched the "Spider-man 2" and "A Tale of Two Sisters" in vcd.

BTW, have any of you watched "A Tale of Two Sisters"? really great movie, kinda slow pace and weird but it was worth it. Lots of memorable scenes that will be glued in your head even after a week. Thought it was one of the gory horror movie, but it turns out to be something more.
nate

Postby Unregistered(d) » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:02 am

santa santita - its a philippine movie about faith and modern age prostitution..over - all its a good movie, but there are still some technical flaws in cinematography and screenplay...
Unregistered(d)

Postby chard09 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:30 am

last night, i watched, not a foreign film, welles' the magnificent ambersons.. superb.

the other days i spent my time viewing some kurosawa films from Quiapo: Ran, Ikiru and Yojimbo.

Also, from the Spanish film Festival here in UP, I enjoyed The City of No Limits and El Viaje de Carol. I missed Historias Minimas, though.
chard09

Postby smurfrevolt » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:49 pm

To all the ppl from the Phils! Kumusta ulit! Haven't been to quiapo lately, the storm and the raids...Damn Edu, as my friends always say...

where did you find the Magnificent Ambersons? I've been looking for it everywhere...

anyway, for the guy who liked M, I teach Film Theory and Appreciation. My students were basically just relieved they weren't bored to tears with it. they were pleasantly surprised that old movies can have a fast pace just as modern films do... and now that Peer Gynt tune gives them the creeps...

hmmm, you mentioned Santa-Santita--watched it too. I was expecting to be blown away, but I was really disappointed. Bad script, and the lead actress' inexperience (although by our standards out here, it's passable, not bad). Maybe the script was because there were three people working on it...I don't know...But at least the I'd have to give it to Unitel pictures for trying to be different. I liked Crying Ladies a lot, although I don't think it would win at the Oscars...I mean, it's good, but not good enough to compete with other countries yet. It's like, we have only started making 'films' when other countries have been making them for years. We've been left behind. Kind of sad...it will take a long time and a lot of hard work before we can catch up...

Hey...about Salo...and Sir...darn forgot his name...anyway, he was my teacher in college too. (We asked if we could watch Salo, but he said there are even more depraved and disturbing films than that one...) Well, watched a lot of other films in his Theory and Criticism class. He showed us George Lucas' American Grafitti and then Johnny Guitar during the first few weeks...and then we have to read that thick Film Criticism book with articles by Andre Bazin et. al... Wow...i miss those days, and free movie screenings at the UP Film Center...
smurfrevolt

Postby wpqx » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:08 am

Breaking Away (1979)

This is part of my seemingly endless quest to watch every film nominated for a best picture Oscar. This particular picture is the last of the nominees I needed to see from 1979, so another year bites the dust.

As for the film, like many I've been watching I wonder how this got a nomination, especially considering Woody Allen's Manhattan was unnominated in that category.
wpqx

Postby chard09 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:17 am

ei smurfrevolt, i'm glad your students enjoyed M. Anyway, in the previous site you said you're a member of UP CAM in CFA. Now, you're a professor.. wow. i also study in UP right now, and who knows i've been your student, or your student right now. of course, wou'll not give your real name here cause you might think i'll be teasing you when we meet in the university. What specific class do you teach? Is it also under College of Fine Arts. Anyway, I finished last sem my theory and criticism class, having loads of time with Bazin, Eisenstein and the never-ending psychoanalysis and post modernism.

about sir..i also forgot him.. hehe.. he's now in korea. i think as an exchange professor.. i remember him in our class.. hehe..

about fritz lang, perhaps i preferred more watching metropolis simply because i saw it in big screen. remember when the Goethe Institut sponsored screening of Murnau and Lang films at SM? Were you there? but anyway, i also liked M, especially Peter Lorre's eyes..hehe.. creepy.. i still haven't watched his four-hour Dr. Mabuse..

regarding magnificent ambersons, abre los ojos. you'll surely see it in quiapo. the one i had, and i think the only one available, is the DVD copy with the cardboard casing.. 'the Bo-ying ones'.. they are disastrous ones because they are very poor in English subtitles.. grabe.. imagine watching a more than two-hour film Ikiru with full of grammatical errors and erroneous translations (I reread the lines in donald richie's book..) about the film, ambersons will surely not disappoint you, esp if you admire much his debut and said-to-be, the greatest film of all time..

so there..

pasensya na po..
chard09

Postby kebao » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:28 am

Millenium Mambo (Hou Hsiao-Hsien)

Hey, I also studied in Peyups. Long time ago. Never had any film classes, however.
kebao

Postby ManicallyHip » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:05 pm

Reconstruction (2004?) a Danish film by the director Christopher Boe -- crazy movie but excellent.
ManicallyHip

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk