The Last Film Seen

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: The Last Film Seen

Postby wpqx » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:15 pm

Epidemic (1987) - Lars Von Trier

I sometimes woner with cinema am I after good movies, bad movies, or original movies? Von Trier has had some hits and misses, but his films have consistently been different and original. Epidemic doesn't even fit in with other Von Trier films that I've seen, although I haven't seen many from this era. He shot it in grainy black and white film, and after about the five minute mark the only color was the title of the film superimposed in the upper left hand corner of the screen, where it stayed for the remainder of the film.

The film went all over the place, from a story of two screenwriters trying to formulate a story, to the film in which they were invisioning, to that ending which is a mystery in and of itself. I remember Lars being a hot topic of debate before the crash, so perhaps this'll get people going on the most controversial director working today.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:39 am

Vive L'Amour (1994) - Tsai Ming Liang

Well my second Liang film gave me a better idea what to expect, and this film is very similar. Little dialogue, long shots, and no real plot to speak of. Perhaps the more movies of his I see, the better I'll like him, but I still wasn't overwhelmed by it. Got plenty more to watch though.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:13 am

Get Shorty (1995) - Barry Sonnenfeld

The film is fun, and that's the best description I can give it. The film isn't great, just as the sequel was somewhat lackluster, but it's entertaining. There is an overemphasis on being cool, but well what do you expect?
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:54 pm

Paris, Texas (1983) - Wim Wenders

Well I finally got to see this film, only took me several years. The film fits well into Wenders' road movies series, but falls a little short of False Movement, which for one reason or another I find to be the most amazingly wonderful film in his catalogue. The picture is moving and effective, and shows that in any language, Wenders can still be effective. Harry Dean Stanton gave a remarkable performance, and in all I would rate this film very highly among the director's work.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:25 pm

Bamboozled (2000) - Spike Lee

One of Lee's best, he reaches high (as usual) and this time he scores. But this perhaps more than his other films is a take it or leave it, no review favorable or unfavorable can adequately prepare you for it, just has to be seen by everyone.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:13 am

Ace in the Hole (1951) - Billy Wilder

One of the great films right here, a true masterpiece from Wilder, worthy of comparison to any of his best work from the era. Douglas shines in what may be his best performance, but there are a lot of great roles. Just wish the film was more readily available.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:15 am

Howl's Moving Castle (2005)

Just saw this, and enjoyed it, but a little too tired to offer any constructive criticism.
wpqx

Postby trevor826 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:55 am

wpqx, I'm dying to know what you thought of Howl's Moving Castle, please try and write your comments later.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby andre angel » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:30 pm

Howl's Moving Castle was great! I loved it at first sight.

I like to think that the last line of the Queen is just a joke. War is not so simple a thing, but I love the theme of the film, so let's just forget it.

What I get as a messege from this movie is like this;
To dream a dream is not bad. If you have guts to escape from here, it's your own choice. So move yourself! Go there!

Miyazaki's gentle attitudes to the weak people is also nice. The face of the castle tells us everything, and Sophie's encounter with Howl is her own invitation.
andre angel

Postby wpqx » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:11 am

The Five Obstructions (2003)

Wasn't particularly blown away by this. Interested to here someone's positive take on the film, and any reasons supporting it.
wpqx

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk