The Last Film Seen

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: The Last Film Seen

Postby wpqx » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:50 pm

Together (2000) - Lukas Moodysson

Cerrtainly enjoyable and entertaining. Gave me enough encouragement to hunt out more films from the director (Show Me Love has been on my to watch list for years), interested in opinions on some of his other films, always looking for further places to go from filmmakers.
wpqx

Postby trevor826 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:43 pm

Caught Ondskan on it's last day in the multiplex then had to dash about 2 miles to the art-house cinema to catch The Consequence of Love, full reports to follow.

By the way, where is everyone. I seem to be the only person who has posted in the last day or 2?

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:14 pm

I've been watching Simpson's and Sopranos, and although I normally will try to catch a movie Wednesday, I had to work (which was fine because I REALLY needed the money. I'm watching 3 Extremes now though, so I'll get this party started.

And if Arsaib has seen The Conformist in the theater, why hasn't he posted about it?
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:28 am

I'd love to but I don't know what i can possibly say that hasn't already been said. I'll say this: don't read this gibberish, just watch it!
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:07 pm

Take 3 parts Logan's Run, add 2 parts of The Matrix, toss in 3 large portions of in your face product placement, add a smattering of nearly every Sci Fi film from the last few years and some awful CGI, blend in some good actors, allow to stew till everything has disintegrated and voila!

It's one of those days when you suffer for your art, don't expect a review but I've just seen The Island and it was bad!

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:48 am

Looked like it to me.

I saw Last Days and Last Year at Marienbad this weekend. I plan on writing about both films, but I just got done filling out my FAFSA, so I don't feel like doing @#%$ right now.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:52 pm

Watched Pixote (1981) which I plan on writing about, but right now I got a bit of writer's block.
wpqx

Postby trevor826 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:18 pm

Harmonium in my memory - Korean drama 1998.

Strings - Puppet epic 2004.

Reports to follow.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:58 am

Kings & Queen - Rois et Reine 2004 directed by Arnoud Desplechin. Definitely could have done with some editing, I took an instant dislike to Nora because she had got on with her life while dumping her son on her father. The more the story unfolded the more I disliked her so when she read the note from her father I almost cheered. You couldn't help but like Ismael, completely barmy but in a good way and I liked the father, especially regarding his last letter.

Mythological pictures appear throughout the film from the print that Nora picks for her father and may have a deeper meaning to the film but if so I'm afraid it was lost on me.

A fine film but it really could have done with a bit of chopping here and there.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:19 am

Just saw "Wild Strawberries" from Ingmar Bergman. His second film I`ve seen, and it didn`t get much better. Standard plot, clicheed plot, few subtleties. A man realizing the mistakes he has made at the end of his life. The ending was very good, but besides that, Bergman is far too formulaic. Besides the Sjoestroem and his daughter-in-law we have cut and dried characters, and the overall tone is too patronising by Bergman. It seems that he doesn`t trust his viewers, so that he has to show everything directly and explains way too much. Also the dream-sequences sometimes lacked imagination. Seems better in retrospect, than while actually watching it. it`s a fine idea, though.

personal rating: **1/4 / ****
A

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk