The Last Film Seen

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: The Last Film Seen

Postby trevor826 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:06 pm

A, Which was the other Bergman.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:12 pm

Watched Motorcycle Diaries (2004)

Liked the film quite a bit, but like most critics I believe this falls short of greatness, still quite a bit better than I would have expected. Wasn't a fan of the editing however would have preferred a much more observational approach, longer, more contemplative shots.

In theaters I saw March of the Penguins (2005)

I'm beginning to suspect Morgan Freeman to be this year's Jude Law the guy is in everything, and usually the narrator. This film was very short, but fantastic. I'm amazed how well it's doing in theaters. When I first saw a preview for it I was interested, but couldn't expect anyone else would sit through a movie about the mating rituals of penguins (just like few people sat through Winged Migration. But even at 2:50 on a Thursday afternoon the show had tremendous attendance. Highly recommended film, and I applaud the crazy bastards who went out in this weather to film it.
wpqx

Postby trevor826 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:11 pm

Totally agree with your views on the Motorcycle Diaries, we won't get March of the Penguins till near enough Christmas but you've piqued my interest.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:58 am

Watched Ley Lines (1999) - Takashi Miike

I'm gonna try to expand upon this in the Japanese Journals thread.
wpqx

Postby A » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:48 am

The other Bergman was "Smiles of a Summer Night". A nice comedy of manners, but didn`t do much for me. But as Imdb lists over 60 films under his direction, I`m optimistic there`s much to discover in the future. I mean the guy has such a tremendous reputation, that I`ll surely love some of his films...
If I go on another director I`ve seen only few films of, Carl Theodor Dreyer, there`s a similar situation. Saw Vampyr and Gertrud. The first i found mediocre, the second had phenomenal direction, but the film didn`t do much for me. But his "Day of Wrath" was imo great.
Anyway, I don`t judge directors but individual films, and some of my favorite directors have made mediocre films.
A

Postby wpqx » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:39 pm

Well Bergman is probably my #3 of all time, so keep trying, you haven't seen Personna or The Seventh Seal yet.

I just watched Unknown Pleasures (2002). After my pleased reaction to The World, I was a little exicted to see this film. Instead I wound up just losing interest in the story and characters, and hardly noticed the film had ended. Probably a classic case of my short attention span watching movies at home, but this film just didn't hold my attention quite as well.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:41 am

Grizzly Man (2005) - Werner Herzog

The mad genius strikes again, a damn good movie from Herzog. Been awhile since I've said that, recommend this to anyone, except for people who hate animals. Herzog makes a compelling film full of all the beauty in flaws.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:52 am

LA Confidential (1997) - Curtis Hansen

Since I've seen this now 4 times, which makes it more than most films I've seen I will probably make a proper right up of it. However it's nearly 2 am here, and I'm just listing this so I remember I saw it again. I'm sure there are some people who haven't seen it yet, but seriously you need to put an end to that right now.
wpqx

Postby A » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:43 pm

I think I`ve also seen this three times, and my opinion went from great to disappointed to surprised, and the fourth time I saw it, some two years ago, it was already a classic for me. Great performances throughout. Recommended.
A

Postby trevor826 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:29 pm

Koreeda's Distance, reminiscent in obvious ways to Eureka. Full comments to follow soon.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk