The Last Film Seen

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: The Last Film Seen

Postby wpqx » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:04 pm

A Woman's Face (1938) - Gustav Molander

Well if you're curious to see Ingrid Bergman before she came to Hollywood, here's where to look. One of her few remaining Swedish films, this one like Intermezzo was also remade in Hollywood, although this remake featured Joan Crawford. The story borrows a little from Louis Friedlander's The Raven philosophy that someone who's monstrously ugly can do monstrously ugly things. Once Bergman's face is fixed, we suddenly see her become a decent person. It's an old cliche I guess. The film is not exactly spectacular, but there is some significance to it.
wpqx

Postby trevor826 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:27 am

Royston Tan's "15", very mixed feelings about this film, definitely needs commenting on.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:11 pm

Vengence is Mine (1979) Shohei Immamura

I don't know what to make of Immamura's work, because I'm still very ignorant of it. Yet this film is one that begins at the end, and works it's way back around. The simple gyst of the story is about an immoral killer. Not a serial killer, but one that kills without remorse. As the film progresses though, the killings seem to get less violent. Immamura isn't about topping himself I suppose. They start bloody, and by the end, we don't even see him kill. In all a fascinating film.
wpqx

Postby Sara » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:21 pm

I know this is a popular thread. But the films that are mentioned are somewhat embedded there. How can we discuss them? Or review them? Or have a thread for each film?
There are now 7 pages of films on this thread and no topics for each film. So they are, in a sense, lost to some of us.

Just my thoughts.

Sara
Sara

Postby wpqx » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:50 pm

Generally if I feel a film warrants special attention, or I just find a lot to say about it, I'll make a separate thread, same goes for other users I believe.
wpqx

Postby trevor826 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:27 pm

Don't forget, there's always the index. If someone has posted a decent sized comment it get's listed in the index. At least that's how I've understood it.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby Sara » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:32 pm

I did not realize it got listed in the index.

That's good.

Sara
Sara

Postby hengcs » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:58 am

Quote trevor, "Royston Tan's "15", very mixed feelings about this film, definitely needs commenting on.
Cheers Trev.
hengcs

Postby trevor826 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:01 pm

History of Violence, not sure if I'll comment on this one. Ab-normal Beauty (last of the Tartan tour films), comments soon. Puni Puni Poemi - 2001.

Azumi 2 Love or Death, comments soon along with the original Azumi and Ninja Scroll anime (may as well do them all together because of the similarities).

Broken Flowers, I'll add comments later.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:09 pm

Adoption (1975) - Marta Meszaros

Rather simple in it's construction. Adoption is an intamte chamber drama much in the vein of Autumn Sonata or even Saraband from Bergman. The story focuses on two principle females. An older widow, and a young girl from adopted parents. The two bond, and in the process each help to free each other of the obstacles in their way. Rather than the frequent use of deep focus photography, this film has a blurry visual style. The camera gets so close on occasion, that it's almost impossible for things to be in focus. As usual for films of the country and time, the pace is slow and contemplative.
wpqx

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk