A film that is shown as a foreign film in every country of the world..

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

A film that is shown as a foreign film in every country of the world..

Postby JohnN » Sat Jun 23, 2001 8:38 pm

Time of the Gypsies, made in 1989 directed by Emir Kusturica, is an excellent film. It was filmed entirely in the Gypsy language, and is about the transformation of a young Gypsy boy growing up in the harsh life of the Gypsies in what was then Yugoslavia.
JohnN

Re: A film that is shown as a foreign film in every country of the world..

Postby ndurst » Fri Aug 17, 2001 3:37 pm

Yes. I loved this film. Wasn't there a really interesting marriage scene in this film? Or am I thinking of another one about the Roma? I also saw 'Black Cat, White Cat' and there was another one....I feel like it had the word 'Romy' in the title. 'Black Cat, White Cat' was also very good if you enjoy films about the gypsies.
ndurst

Postby rholmes » Mon Nov 05, 2001 7:31 pm

Time of the Gypsies was, I thought, wonderful. Black Cat, White Cat, much less so. Had some funny scenes, but quite thin in places, and the characters were horribly stereotyped. If you like gypsy movies, try "The Crazy Stranger" (Gadjo Dilo). It's quite remarkable. This is the third of a trilogy. I don't remember the first, but the second movie, Latcho Domo was quite wonderful also - more of a documentary than the others mentioned.
rholmes

Postby mani_fh » Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:12 pm

There is an Iranian movie about gypsies, it’s titled “Unfinished Song’. It’s a great gem, if off course you like Iranian movies!
mani_fh

Postby ianna_2000 » Sat Mar 02, 2002 4:54 am

also,see my post on films from ex-yugoslavia...thanx for the trilogy suggestion and the iranian film too ;) will check those out!
ianna_2000

Return to Film Talk