The Last Film Seen

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: The Last Film Seen

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:34 pm

Pickpocket is available on Netflix - US...
So i've added to my list of 500.....
Unregistered(d)

Postby trevor826 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:12 pm

The Suicide Manual, ultra low budget Japanese movie. I was hoping from the initial premise that this would be written up in Japanese Journals - General but no real surprise, it'll go in the horror section- LINK .

We appear to have a few Jean Rollin films showing on cable tv at the moment but from what I've seen before, "If you've seen one, you've seen em all".

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:43 pm

Memento Mori, notes to follow in Korean Korner - LINK.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:46 pm

Made for TV film - Yasmin (2004), Kenneth Glenaan concerning the way muslims were treated before and after 9/11.

Comments to follow.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:15 am

Latest T.O. trip for Naruse films also produced Mehta's Water. The film opens soon so more to follow.

Also: Kings and Queen, The White Diamond, Lila Says, Seven Swords.
arsaib4

Postby A » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:21 pm

Just saw the magnificent "After Life" by Hirokazu Koreeda. This was my third film by him (also saw Maboroshi and Nobody Knows), and he's just become my third favorite Japanese director, right after Mamoru Oshi and akira Kurosawa. The film sometimes reminded me of a sensibility resembling Hou Hsiao-hsien, which is one of the biggest compliments a film can get from me.
Personal favorite, comments to follow.

What was it with Naruse again? Still haven't seen any of his films, btw.
A

Postby trevor826 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:08 pm

A can you comment in the Japanese general thread, I'd also like to add my comments as I 've just got hold of the region 1 dvd.

As for me, a couple of reviews to catch up on, Yasmin - see above, Battle in Heaven, Pandora's Box - 1929 and Where the Truth Lies, Egoyen which I've just seen.

I was discouraged from writing any comments simply because the site appeared to have gone into hibernation.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:21 pm

You really are the site's most active member, posting way more than anybody else, so you have to be patient with us sometimes. Well, I guess it's hard sometimes, when there are mainly four to five people active though we have 109 registered members.
But still the new foreignfilms.com is in its infancy, and we can expect better for the future. Just how long it will take is another question
A

Postby wpqx » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:56 am

Sorry I've been out of the loop. I must admit I'm a little discouraged at how little I missed in my absence.

Anyways I finally got to see the Warriors today, and if I can have the time to get some full comments written, I'll put them in arsaib's Cult Classics thread. The film's comic book edge was interesting, and as flawed as the film was, it's still a lot more charming and entertaining than much more "professionally" done films. Every so often a bad cult film is better than the standard ultra-serious award film (ie a film made only to win awards). Case in point I'd rather watch Rock and Roll High School than Kramer vs. Kramer, even though R and R is a piece of corny crap. The Warriors has that charm, and enough of it has been embedded in hip hop culture here in the US to make it appear almost essential viewing these days. I'm off to see the Squid and the Whale in a few hours so another more contemporary film to get some info on. I've heard pretty damn good things about it, and it is the only 4 star film in the Chicago Tribune I'm yet to see.
wpqx

Postby trevor826 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:42 am

wpqx, believe me you have been missed along with a few others, good to hear from you.

Just watched a comedy from Uruguay, "Whisky" although you could only describe it as a comedy in the broadest sense of the word, the humour is almost imperceptible and the main subject matter concerns the mundanity of life. Very Aki Kaurismaki!

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk