The Last Film Seen

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: The Last Film Seen

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:30 am

Michael Clayton (U.S./2007) - B

Manufactured Landscapes (Canada/2006) - B- (A not uninteresting, if fairly lackluster companion piece to the work of Canadian artist and photographer Edward Burtynsky, who doesn't have anything profound to say about globalization, at least not in this documentary; his images should speak for themselves. The film also pales in comparison to such thematically similar works as Still Life, Chain, Tie Xi Qu: West of the Tracks and Workingman's Death, none of which have unfortunately received nearly as much publicity.)
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:32 am

Terminator 2 (1991)

Good times in this incredible sequel which brings back a ton of childhood memories. Considering we watched the first one a couple of weeks ago, it seemed fitting to follow it up here. This was the "extended" version which had some worthwhile additional scenes cut from the original theatrical release, and some that well should have stayed cut. Pound for pound this is still possibly the best action movie ever made and it's amazing how good many of the effects still look which makes me weep all the more at the over reliance on CGI.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:08 pm

The Marquise of O (1976) - Eric Rohmer
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:16 pm

Conversation Piece (1974) - Luchino Visconti
Sugar Cane Alley (1983) - Euzhan Palcy

Unfortunately the Visconti was good old fashioned crappy VHS and was formatted to fit this screen. I do believe at the film was shot in English so the audio wasn't a particularly large problem. The Palcy film was excellent, and seems to fit into a characteristic that I've been finding a lot of in French cinema, which is to observe but not pass judgment on situations. Watching Varda's Vagabond that was another film were we saw a character who was neither good nor bad and the film wasn't asking us to take a side, same goes for the unfaithful wife in India Song. Sugar Cane Alley may show some of the exploitation but it doesn't really attempt to preach, instead showing some of the joy that can be found in the very mundane.
wpqx

Postby justindeimen » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:14 pm

Sharkwater - The documentary that An Inconvenient Truth should have been. It's just a remarkable film - it's a tragedy, a personal odyssey, a thriller and a cautionary tale all wrapped in the enigma of human existence.
justindeimen

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:57 am

Ryna (Romania-Swi/2005) - C (As predictable as a Bruckheimer production. Newcomer Doroteea Petre is good, but she's even better in the much superior The Way I Spent the End of the World.)

Destiny (Turkey-Gre/2006) - A
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:41 pm

Hour of the Star (1985) - Suzana Amaral

One of the few Brazilian films I've seen that tends to focus on a female perspective, this avoids all political debate and social injustice to focus more on a personal story that seems horribly inconsequential. Macabea is in no way despicable but there isn't a whole hell of a lot to get us to endear towards her. She's ignorant of many things and just seems hopelessly clueless about everything. What's more difficult to understand is her poor treatment by nearly everyone else in the film. Her one guardian angel is her supervisor whose been told more than once to fire her by his boss. It's a tough film that isn't particularly abrasive, simply observant but no great arch and development. Simple a character observation who leaves us almost entirely as she came. The fresh perspective might have attributed to some of the film's festival success, but it lacks nearly all of the punch and tenacity that most imported Brazilian films seem to carry.

*again I realize that perhaps a thread on Brazil would be in order, but this is far from Cinema Novo.
wpqx

Postby hengcs » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:18 am

arsaib4 wrote: Destiny (Turkey-Gre/2006) - A

since arsaib4 seldom gives such a grade
i am anticipating a review and the DVD
hee hee
hengcs

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:57 am

Ha-ha, you noticed how prickly I am with grades. (It's a good thing I don't make lists on a regular basis, otherwise many would be unhappy. ) I recently attended a retro of Turkish auteur Zeki Demirkubuz, who turned out to be an equal of Nuri Bilge Ceylan. Destiny is his latest effort. Thanks for you interest. I'll write more about him and his films soon.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:08 pm

The Night Porter (1974)

Always tricky watching a film with a reputation that precedes like this does. Some great moments and particularly striking images, in a somewhat convoluted plot. It's very easy to see how people could be completely put off by the film, but it remains quite compelling. An interesting filming choice, employing lots of long takes and a wandering camera. I'd say it's probably a good thing that zooms have almost completely disappeared from feature film making since the 70's but here they are still thrown about.
wpqx

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk