The Last Film Seen

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: The Last Film Seen

Postby wpqx » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:37 pm

Grey Gardens (1975)

Fairly fascinating account of a somewhat loony family that somehow comes across as completely normal.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:56 pm

Surprised you didn't allude to Charlotte Rampling, or maybe you did...
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:05 am

What can I say that hasn't already been written about thousands of times?
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:46 am

Slave of Love (1976) Mikhail Mikhaltov
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:34 am

True.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:52 am

Not to make excuses but I have just not been able to come up with much to say about any recent film I've watched, as evident by the scarcity of comments here.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:58 am

American Gigolo (1980) - Paul Schrader

Surprisingly excellent film that took its time winning me over. The film is so overly misogynistic at the beginning that it almost puts you off until you realize that that's the character Gere is playing. Which makes it hard for us to really care when he starts asking for help, he is an incredibly selfish character that makes it hard to sympathize, and Gere plays him relatively cold. The direction is largely superb and even on crappy VHS I was still able to get a sense of the tonalities of the production design.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:47 am

The World According to Garp (1982) - George Roy Hill

This film can't seem to figure out if it wants to be a comedy or a tragedy. There are moments of almost absurd surreal humor intercut with devastating setbacks. The pacing is fine for it and most of the characters are somewhat compelling and everyone seems to be particularly flawed, but I was put off by the near tug of war when just as you start feeling happy someone invariably seems to die.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:52 am

An undervalued Schrader sandwiched between two others: Hardcore and Cat People. I thought Gere was quite good here; he was able to channel the underlying emptiness in his life without resorting to mannerisms.

"The direction is largely superb and even on crappy VHS I was still able to get a sense of the tonalities of the production design." Well said.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:20 am

I know the film is available on DVD, I just couldn't get ahold of it and didn't feel like being too picky. I saw Schrader's Cat People probably 14 years ago, so I could do with a refresher on that even though I'm not particularly wild about the story. From what I read Gere replaced John Travolta for the role, and I got a vague sense that he was challenging his inner "Travolta" while on screen.
wpqx

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk