The Last Film Seen

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: The Last Film Seen

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:35 am

VHS only, at this point, both in the U.S. and the U.K. Looks like it's OOP here, though you can probably rent a copy from specialty stores.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:48 am

That's all I need to know. I was impressed enough by Distant Voices, Still Lives to check out more from Davies.

btw Joe Crede is my %!***%@ hero I would go gay for that man.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:56 am

They just avoided a three-game sweep, so hold on to you +*%*.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:47 am

Me and Joe Crede go back several years and my passionate hatred of the Yankees goes back even further. Didn't mean to get off track, but god what a game.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:00 am

I just caught the end, but it was good.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:03 pm

Death of a President (Poland/1978) - B+

Pitfall (Japan/1962) - C+

The Paper Will Be Blue" style="FONT-STYLE: italic" href="http://foreignfilms.yuku.com/reply/15142/t/Shining---Long-Dark-Night-Romanian-Cinema----2008-.html#reply-15142" target=_blank>The Paper Will Be Blue

Giants & Toys
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:47 pm

I didn't get to catch everything, but last night I did sit through the marathon restoration of La Roue (1922) which definitely seemed like a new film to me. Gance went a little overboard and I'm amazed to think that the film was originally 8 hours long, but there are some remarkable moments and his command of montage is incredible. I hope that with some of his work being restored perhaps Gance will get his proper place in film history.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:00 am

Cocteau once wrote that "There is cinema before and after La Roue as there is painting before and after Picasso." I've recorded the parts I didn't get to see. Burel, not surprisingly, served as one of the cinematographers, as was the case with J'Accuse.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:46 am

I missed the doc that was on before and was far too tired to stay up for the encore of J'Accuse but since at least that is coming soon to DVD I'll wait a little longer. I've only seen five Gance features but there is no doubt that with a few more he might become one of my all time favorites.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:18 am

Which five have you seen?

Besides Gance, I'd also like to see more of Belgian-born French filmmaker Jacques Feyder.
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk