The Last Film Seen

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: The Last Film Seen

Postby wpqx » Fri May 02, 2008 6:58 pm

Heimat (1984)

Epic is an understatement. Unlike most monumental epics I took my time with this one (not exactly by choice). Spread out over the course of around two weeks I sunk my teeth into several generations of a somewhat simple family in rural Germany. There is drama throughout but not of a catastrophic variety. These just seem like real people who do good, do bad, and sometimes do both within the same scene. There is lots to love but I was particularly sold on the series with the ninth episode Little Hermann, which seemed to be the most touching and interesting of all the episodes. It'll probably be a long time before I venture into Heimat 2, or the recently released 3, but I'm glad I finally got to see this and can finally cross it off my list.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri May 02, 2008 11:35 pm

Heimat II is by far the longest, I believe. On the other hand, the third is only about 11 hours. :|
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon May 05, 2008 4:55 am

Beethoven (1936) - Abel Gance

Not sure if Sunday nights with Abel Gance is going to become a regular event, but at least two weeks in a row I've spent with the legendary filmmaker. Gance's freewheeling technique used so well in the silent era was a little handicapped here. However he is able to orchestrate a great deal of sophisticated sound mixing to be used as a psychological tool to illustrate the title character's decreasing hearing. Only when Beethoven's life "flashes before his eyes" do we really get a reminder of the innovative montage editing Gance helped to establish. The transfer (despite being on DVD) is abysmal however and could have benefited from much touching up. This carried on a career long fascination with historically significant figures, following on the relative success (artistically anyways) of Napoleon and Lucretia Borgia.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Mon May 05, 2008 6:12 pm

Gummo (1997) - Harmony Korine

So strange. I can't figure what to make of this film. There are moments of absurd surreal humor and disturbing imagery, and overall there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. Just wallowing around in white trash splendor. Looks like a homemade film of a family you'd never, ever want to meet.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Tue May 06, 2008 5:34 am

Midnight Run (1988) - Martin Brest

A classic film that would probably be sitting amongst my favorites had I seen it 100 times as a kid the same way I watched Brest's earlier Beverley Hills Cop. Funny watching some of the same character actors appear in each story without even making the mental connection. De Niro got a lot of publicity for making his first "comedy" and the film has much the same comedy/action combo that made the previous Eddie Murphy vehicle so enjoyable. A good dynamic between the main characters that makes most of the cliche turns you want. The one scene I would have completely avoided was Jack Walsh's return to his Chicago family. It seemed clumsy and was extremely predictable in a sappy unrewarding way.
wpqx

Postby justindeimen » Wed May 07, 2008 8:30 am

Helas Pour Moi - For me, top tier Godard. Saw it on a large screen at one of the film schools here, and am grateful the print wasn't from DVD this time round.
justindeimen

Postby wpqx » Wed May 07, 2008 4:09 pm

That film baffled me but I'm not sure if a second viewing would add a bit of clarity. Last night I watched My Friend Ivan Lapshin last night in a rather crappy VHS with a somewhat distracting buzzing sound throughout. I haven't quite made up my mind about it.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sun May 11, 2008 6:45 pm

Flight of the Red Balloon (France/2007) - A- (2nd viewing)

Fight Club (U.S./1999) - A- (2nd viewing)
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Tue May 13, 2008 3:23 am

RedBelt (U.S./2008) - B+ (One of the Mamet's best. It appears to be cut with its subject's discipline.)

En la cama (Chile-Ger/2005) - C ("The idea that strangers can engage in sex for pleasure without guilt, anguish and veritable laundry lists of complaints remains out of bounds, which gives this Chilean-German co-production a curiously old-fashioned, decidedly unsexy vibe" [Manohla Dargis, The New York Times]. Even Linklater couldn't have saved this two-hander.)
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue May 13, 2008 6:55 pm

I've heard some good things about the Mamet film. I suppose I never made a thread on Iron Man, and should get around to that.
wpqx

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk