The Last Film Seen

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: The Last Film Seen

Postby arsaib4 » Wed May 14, 2008 2:43 am

RedBelt is a good, old-fashioned genre piece which delivers. Ejiofor's performance is certainly one of the reasons why it works. I think you'll like it.

I want to see Iron Man largely because of Robert Downey Jr., who I've always admired. Who knows, your write up just may motivate me to do one for Mamet's film.
arsaib4

Postby tzarine » Thu May 15, 2008 2:38 am

Volver
y
Mala Educacion

Almodovar is very enjoyable and Srta Cruz y Sr Bernal are always watchable.
tzarine

Postby wpqx » Thu May 15, 2008 4:17 am

Welcome aboard and agreed with Almodovar.
wpqx

Postby tzarine » Thu May 15, 2008 8:34 pm

thanks.

I mean how many people can make child abuse funny.

I loved seeing Carmen Maura and Srta Cruz is absolutely wasted in Yankee flicks.
tzarine

Postby wpqx » Fri May 16, 2008 6:38 pm

El Sur (1983) - Victor Erice

I should probably stop watching foreign movies without subtitles. The second film from Erice might not be as enjoyable as his first, but I found it much more subtle and haunting than his follow up. So the middle film is essentially in between in every way. I couldn't find a great deal written about the film, and the review I read from Senses of Cinema did little but just say it was wonderful without offering much reasoning behind the aesthetic judgment.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue May 20, 2008 3:27 am

Goodbye Dragon Inn (Taiwan/2003) - A+ (Fifth viewing)

O' Horton (Norway-Ger-Fra/2007) - C
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue May 20, 2008 6:04 am

An A+, I am astounded.

I saw Red Belt, and if arsaib won't do a review, perhaps I will.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue May 20, 2008 11:58 pm

Yep, "A+" is for special occasions only.

I read your post on Redbelt. That's perfectly fine; I'm glad you made one. Time permitting, I'll try to add to it. Meanwhile, I'll continue to write about films no one has ever heard of. ;)
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed May 21, 2008 3:30 am

Speaking of which I got a chance to see Mes Petites Amoureuses from Jean Eustache tonight. Not sure what I expected but it wasn't what I expected, if that makes any sense. Quire removed from his previous film which is probably what made the film dead in the water to most international audiences expecting more of the same. The film took its sweet time and seemed to linger on every detail. In all I was quite fascinated by it and expect it to grow in my mind as time passes much like The Mother and the *$%#@ did.

Oh and finally got around to A Fish Called Wanda quite amusing great cast, pleasing.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Wed May 21, 2008 5:05 am

Les Amants du Pont-Neuf (1991) - Leo Carax

Only took about a year but I finally finished watching this film and well follie seems the right word for it. Great moments but I can't really understand what the hell was going on. Carax certainly seems fond of strange and mismatching lovers. I think overall though the film doesn't seem particularly strong. Sort of like it wanted to be grand, but other than the Bastille Day sequence didn't really deliver on its promise.
wpqx

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk