The Last Film Seen

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: The Last Film Seen

Postby arsaib4 » Wed May 21, 2008 6:18 am

I think it's quite likely that the Eustache will grow on you. Hopefully, you'll find the time to expand on your comments.

If you haven't already, I guess you should now check out Carax's Pola X.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed May 21, 2008 2:02 pm

I've seen Pola X already
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu May 22, 2008 6:00 am

What did you make of it?
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu May 22, 2008 7:07 am

I'm not sure I knew what to make of it. I haven't seen it for a couple years and lord knows where my comments about the film are at.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Fri May 23, 2008 5:04 am

A River Runs Through It (1992) - Robert Redford

Not gonna lie, I watched this because I was supposed to read the book for a class and didn't get it done. There's plenty to like about it, some great location photography and well this pretty much is what made Brad Pitt a star. Can't say I know anything about fly fishing or ever want to venture into Montana for any reason ever in my life, but I could still understand the fascination inherent in these characters.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon May 26, 2008 2:05 am

Usually it's not a good sign when I don't remember much about a film but in this case it's simply been too long. I believe it came out after Thelma & Louise though Pitt had a more prominent role here. I haven't seen Redford's last two films; I've been told I'm not missing much.

A Matter of Dignity (Greece/1957) - B

Gamorra (Italy/2008) - A-
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon May 26, 2008 1:47 pm

I haven't heard particularly great things about Redford's films since Quiz Show. Just a cheap way to figure out what happens in the story without reading the book.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon May 26, 2008 8:25 pm

And an essential one also, I'd say, and that's a choice we have to make on a daily basis. Right now I could either watch Street Kings or a film which played at Cannes, and as much as I want to see Keanu Reeves and Forest Whitaker in action, I'd have to go with the latter even though it doesn't guarantee anything.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon May 26, 2008 10:18 pm

Today I watched The Science of Sleep which I enjoyed quite a bit but honestly got a little lost, it was hard for me to figure out what was a dream and what wasn't, which I'm sure is the intention but Stephane winds up coming off more as an unbalanced schizophrenic rather than romantic dreamer.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Wed May 28, 2008 4:11 am

July (Soviet Union/1988) - B

In Memory of a Day Gone By (Lithuania/1990) - B+
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk