The Last Film Seen

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: The Last Film Seen

Postby wpqx » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:37 am

Not sure I could stomach too many by myself, although in the event of Zombie Diaries I missed most of the actual plot.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:31 am

Who knows, that may have been a positive...

Chop Shop (U.S./2007) - Apparently all you need nowadays is an enterprising young kid and some handheld camerawork in the streets to be compared to Italian neorealist masters of the past.

Casa de Lava (Portugal-Fra-Ger/1994) - The mysteriously elusive anomaly of Pedro Costa's oeuvre so far. Works better on a pure visual level (one of the highlights, a Costa specialty, is a long tracking shot of Inês Medeiros walking alongside walls that would make Francis Bacon proud) than on a narrative one (at least upon first viewing).
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:25 pm

Watched Wall E last night and it was entertaining, although I've rarely felt as manipulated in a film. I mean this picture tried (and succeeded) in getting us to think a cockroach was cute and even made me think that Hello Dolly might not have been a terrible film. Still lazy people of the future being fatter than ten Tony Soprano's was excellent and Andrew Stanton seems like he's slowly working his way towards human characters (following Nemo). Definitely entertaining in it's own right not sure where it would rank in the overall Pixar library though.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:33 am

Last night I got a chance to revisit Team America which was still hilarious and already a little dated although not much has changed since, still very much seems like a product of 2004. Unfortunately I had to suffer through 27 Dresses which seemed a little low on the chick flick radar. Not a great deal of thought seemed to go into the film and everything was far too simplistic and predictable.

Today I watched A Foreign Affair (1948) from Billy Wilder and quite an interesting counterpart to One, Two, Three. Jean Arthur came out of semi-retirement for the film, and went right back into it afterwards and this film is one of the rare pictures that seems to capture a little of what I've gathered as the real Jean Arthur. Somewhat awkward, insecure but willing to eventually take charge. Arthur is certainly one of my all time favorite actresses and she is definitely excellent here and no matter how alluring Marlene Dietrich might be projected as, never once do we seem to side with her. John Lund unfortunately seems a bit like a poor man's Melvyn Douglas but nearly any actor would seem weak next to those two. This is arguably the first Wilder film that really tried to make people laugh at things that aren't supposed to be funny, and not coincidentally it was his first critical failure.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:37 am

WALL·E is definitely on my radar. I'm gonna wait till the hype dies down a bit. Still, I hope it lives up to expectations, which didn't quite turn out to be the case with the much acclaimed Amerindie Chop Shop, though it's not a bad film by any means.

Team America had its moments, for sure, but I thought it tried to speak with both sides of its mouth, and ultimately ended up saying very little about anything. The strategy certainly appeared to involve both the extreme Right and the radical Left.

Hellboy II: The Golden Army (U.S.-Ger/2008) - C+ / average

The Strangers (U.S./2008) - D-
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:44 am

You were a fan of the first Hellboy weren't you? And I've avoided The Strangers, heard a lot of bad things about it.

WALL-E was actually the first Pixar film I've seen in a theater and kind of amazed it took this long.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:51 am

Yes, I was. It had the sort of zest and attitude one normally doesn't come across in superhero movies. The second installment has some of that but not enough to render it equivalent to its predecessor.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:16 am

I should add that I'm also a fan of The X-Files, both the television show and the surprisingly successful initial feature which came about a decade ago. The second film is scheduled to be released on July 25.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:16 pm

Can't say I'm that excited about the new X Files film, I saw the first in theaters but this one seems a little too late for me to get that excited.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:45 pm

The Promise (2005) - Chen Kaige

Well since my expectations for this film were significantly lowered by many people (including several members of this site) I can't say I was disappointed. That said this film would rank next to Sweeney Todd as the film with the most pointless use of CGI, I mean really what was the point of all that? The film did get to be compelling for awhile and although a little too much flash and pageantry it could have worked on its own as a rather small film. The fight scenes suffered from a little too much floating about and boring "look how cool we are" effects. Kaige seemed much better with The Emperor and the Assassin which bears a few similarities to this but without all the computer animated nonsense. This does for better or worse seem to be the direction mainstream Chinese film is headed so let's just hang out until it goes away. That said the film may have worked better on the big screen, but I missed it and I'll just learn to live with that fact.
wpqx

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk