The Last Film Seen

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: The Last Film Seen

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:24 am

In the meantime, I'd suggest hanging out with the Sixth Generation (which is much more than just Jia, Wang Xiaoshuai and Zhang Yuan), not to mention Tian Zhuangzhuang, which I've been doing for a while now.

I also can't say I'm as excited about the new X-Files film as I was anticipating the earlier one. Still, I hope it turns out to be good.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:47 am

Other than Jia I need to do some work on the 6th Generation. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at things most of the films on my to look for list are really old, so anything of the last decade I'm really slow to get around to if I don't catch it in theaters.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:53 am

I'd hate to see you falling too far behind. But I was encouraged by your last month's log which included a couple of new foreign films. Hopefully this trend will continue.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:39 am

So many movies so little time, the story of my life.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:58 am

Went to see The Dark Knight because I couldn't bare to hear everyone tell me how great it was. Excellent film all around and hopefully I'll get a decent review up this weekend. Grindhouse night was spent watching The Holy Mountain (1973) which I hadn't seen in about 8 or 9 years and remembered very little about. Still probably the strangest movie I've ever seen and the oddest thing about it is someone gave him money to make it. Although certainly in the midnight movie mold, this wasn't typical Grindhouse fare so I expect more regular trash for the next installment.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:38 am

Being Two Isn't Easy (1962) - Kon Ichikawa

Just a fun great film, loved it pretty much from start to finish and it's been a long time since I remember liking an Ichikawa film this much.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:48 pm

The State of Things (1983) - Wim Wenders

Made shortly after Hammett, this was somewhat autobiographical of Wenders struggles finding financing here in the states. I was ready to buy the sci fi film at the beginning and wondered if this was just a strange new territory for Wenders but felt a little more secure when the rug was pulled out from under me and the "only a film set" turned out to be the real story. Like always regular filmmakers appear in small roles like Samuel Fuller and Roger Corman. The VHS of this film is probably as old as the movie itself so I can't vouch for the transfer but it was once again shot in black and white and like man other Wenders films could probably use a restoration.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:14 am

Talladega Nights (2006)

Well it was starting on cable and I figured "to hell with it". Although the film started off in grand fashion and my sore throat was in agony from laughing so hard particularly when everyone was gathered together to say grace and Ricky Bobby had to insist on picturing his Jesus as a baby. I could care less about racing but the culture seemed somewhat well represented and I'm not going to get all on the grand bandwagon, but I feel like I can see Step Brothers without much backup now.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:02 pm

Shaolin Soccer (2001) - Stephen Chow

Yes another example of why Miramax blows children as a distribution company. They dropped the ball on this and thankfully the fallout wasn't too great. Entertaining as films go and not without its ridiculous humor the picture certainly falls into the "tries to hard" mold and the final soccer match goes on just a few minutes too long. Can't say much of this is worth taking seriously but certainly a good time and hardly a waste.
wpqx

Postby hengcs » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:36 pm

Some of the better films I have watched ...

-- The Banishment (Russia)

-- Boy A (UK)

-- Wall E (US) ...

will give more comments when I have time
hengcs

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk