Oscar Nominated Films

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Oscar Nominated Films

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:08 pm

Page 3 in this thread is now causing a horizontal scroll bar. Are you having the same issue?
arsaib4

Postby hengcs » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:18 am

hmmm ...
i dont see a horizontal bar
did u try refreshing?

PS: feel free to delete your post and my post after solving the problem (if any)
hengcs

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:14 am

Like I said, it's only apparent on the previous page and only during viewing, not replying.
arsaib4

Postby hengcs » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:35 am

I "think" i know why ... and i have edited the posting ... sorry wpqx

it has to do with the many zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz in wpqx's posting ... since the forum treats it as 1 word, it has NO choice but to widen the window, it does NOT hyphenate it ...

PS: actually, i did not see a scroll bar. this is becos my computer screen is bigger and my fonts are smaller (with higher resolution) ... however, after reading your post again, i realize that the forum rectangle is MUCH bigger than other pages ... i really think u could solve the problem by editing away the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's to fewer

Also, we can delete your posting and mine after a day or two
hengcs

Postby wpqx » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:51 pm

Well next page, so problem temporarily solved. I know that was the "problem". Sorry I just had to really stress how god damn boring The Diary of Anne Frank was.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:59 am

Kings Row (1942) - Sam Wood

A melodrama of small town America that could serve as a precursor to Peyton Place and Twin Peaks. Everyone is slightly disturbed here, and some highly soap opera-esque things happen. The story is set around the turn of the century, and I wonder if it really mattered, but it does situate it in a unique and different time. Ronald Reagan, despite getting third billing is pretty much the main force behind the film and delivers what is pretty much unanimously considered his best performance. Ann Sheridan (who shot scenes for The Man Who Came to Dinner after getting off of work in the mornings from this film) delivers a key transitional role for her. The legendary James Wong Howe was the photographer here, and already the deep focus photography is readily employed.

*Kings Row was nominated for best picture, best director, and best black and white cinematography.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:17 am

For Whom the Bell Tolls (1943) - Sam Wood

This big budget adaptation of Hemmingway's immensely popular novel was generally well received by critics of the time. Watching it today its age shows a little. No one in the cast appears to be anything close to Spanish, most of the politics are ignored, and in typical Hollywood fashion the narrative focuses primarily on romance. Cooper is good, and even Bergman does a decent job despite her credibility as a Spanish peasant. The color helps the film in some ways, and most of the battle sequences are excellently done. In all though the film is lacking in the fire of what made Hemmingway's work great.

*For Whom the Bell Tolls was nominated for best picture, best actor (Cooper), best actress (Bergman), best color art direction, best color cinematography, best editing, best drama or comedy score, best supporting actor (Akim Tamaroff), and won for best supporting actress (Katina Paxinou)
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Fri May 11, 2007 8:00 pm

The Robe (1953) - Henry Koster

Well if this film looks like large scale Technicolor pageantry, then looks are certainly not deceiving. A large scale big budget film made as little more than an advertisement for Cinemascope. Richard Burton's performance seems tired and dated by today's standards, and most of the film reaks of the "Thank god they don't make these anymore" odor of so many lost epics. Not to say that similar films don't still come out, but this picture is a good 40 minutes too long, and along with Quo Vadis it makes Roman history look so dreadfully stale. The film was rewarded with a best picture Oscar, which thankfully it lost to the much better remembered From Here to Eternity. The supporting cast isn't too bad, and Victor Mature delivers an uncharacteristically good performance. So much of this film echoes Spartacus, but in a vastly inferior way.

*The Robe was nominated for best picture, best actor (Burton), and best color cinematography. It won for best color art direction, and best color costume design.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:12 pm

King Solomon's Mines (1950) - Compton Bennett

Perhaps Blood Diamond sent me over the edge, or perhaps I've read one too many Spike Lee interviews, but god damn it I'm getting sick of movies set in Africa where all the main characters are white. This film loosely follows the novel's plot, and instead sets it up as to what new natural wonder is going to terrorize Deborah Kerr and prompt a last minute rescue from Stewart Granger. I've gotten more critical of this type of film over the last year, and I am not letting this one off the hook. Yet another tale of white Europeans in the jungle. There's always the seasoned white man who knows the country and the languages, who's always assisted by a native who is strangely subordinate and loyal. Of course this tracker is a perennial bachelor, and of course when the woman shows up he begins to change his ways. I will say Trader Horn altered this approach, but making the seasoned tracker's young assistant the second half of the love interest. Nonetheless, it looked more like a hunting video than a film of interest, with MGM's aesthetic of throwing more wild animals and literally showing spear chuckers. I always do love Deborah Kerr, but I had a hard time getting behind her character just because I've seen it done too many times.

*King Solomon's Mines won best color cinematography and best editing Oscars. It was also nominated for best picture.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:26 pm

Right now I would've suggested a few Jean Rouch films to balance things out, but it's a shame that none of his work is readily available in this country. Hopefully, that'll change soon. You can certainly do worse than Claire Denis' Chocolat, even though it takes a little getting used to.
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk