Oscar Nominated Films

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Oscar Nominated Films

Postby hengcs » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:15 am

wpqx wrote: Billy Elliot (2000) - Stephen Daldry Apart from the film, I actually caught the musical in UK. hee hee
hengcs

Postby wpqx » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:12 pm

49th Parallel/The Invaders (1941) - Michael Powell

The dynamic duo of Powell and Pressburger got off to a resounding start with this wartime film that would be very indicative of their early work. Both men were coming from their own worlds, Powell was steadily growing as one of Britain's best directors and Pressburger was known for his screenwriting. The two had previously worked together on The Spy in Black in 1939, but this was their triumphant start to a decade long run of classic film after classic film. Pressburger fled Nazi Germany where he worked as a screenwriter at UFA following Hitler's rise. This gave a first hand account of what supposedly real German citizens thought of Hitler. So this translated easily to a tale that constantly pits us against Germans. Rarely has a film shown a protagonist for its duration lose all of our sympathy. It is almost arbitrary to side with whoever is on screen the most, but here an all star parade of British stars get us to systematically despise these cruel would be conquerors. In one of the film's very deliberate moments the German's refuse to save shipwrecked Canadians and this is our first glimpse of them. Along the way they meet a French Canadian trapper, a community of German immigrants whose religion resembles Mormons, a reclusive artist, and an AWOL soldier. They all rebuff the attempts at conversion of these Germans and gradually thin out their ranks. It is hard to watch the film out of context.

*The Invaders was nominated for best picture and best screenplay. It won for best original story.
wpqx

Postby justindeimen » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:57 am

Just realised the new Bette Davis collection is out. An inordinate amount of previously unreleased (to me, at least) Oscar winning/nominated films in that, especially one I have been meaning to watch in All This, and Heaven Too .
justindeimen

Postby wpqx » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:45 pm

All This and Heaven Too is alright, I haven't seen what's in the collection but there are certainly a few gems in her cannon, particularly Little Foxes.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Fri May 23, 2008 4:19 pm

The Devil Wears Prada (2006) - David Frankel

Sometimes it seems as if any time Meryl Streep appears on screen she'll get an Oscar nomination. I believe this was her record 13th time up for an award and the recognition is not without merit. The story is ultra obvious at parts and I'm not sure if the conclusion is really where I wanted it to go. Entertaining by most counts and full of a bunch of characters I can't remotely relate to. There is a desire to be iconographic here that occasionally pays off, the costume design pretty well warranted an Oscar nomination as well. Anne Hathaway got naturally swamped amidst Streep praise who although over the top still seems supporting to me. Not to say Hathaway delivered a better performance, or even a particularly good one for that matter. The supporting cast however holds their own but I feel like this film could have been so much more.

*The Devil Wears Prada was nominated for best actress (Streep) and best costume design.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sat May 24, 2008 5:42 am

I can't recall at this point exactly why I watched this film but my reaction afterwards was fairly similar to yours. I also think that it could've been much more cutting-edge (a few of the designers being discussed almost made it feel anachronistic). I agree that the supporting players (Stanley Tucci, Emily Blunt) did their best to keep the thing afloat as long as possible.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sat May 24, 2008 11:59 pm

I've been patiently waiting for something to really utilize Anne Hathaway's potential, perhaps Get Smart will?
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sun May 25, 2008 2:34 am

Based on the preview I saw before Redbelt, I highly doubt it. But she's certainly tried to break out of a certain mold by appearing in films like Havoc and Brokeback. I probably see more potential in her Prada co-star Emily Blunt.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sun May 25, 2008 2:53 am

Blunt was great I thought and it'll be interesting to see where she goes from there. I was a fan of her in Havoc and Brokeback and I just think she was slightly underutilized in Brokeback but certainly in the right direction.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:58 am

Murder on the Orient Express (1974) - Sidney Lumet

Well about two days ago I noticed that my Lumet collection wasn't very impressive, in fact despite how much I've enjoyed the few films I've seen I've never really explored the depths of his filmography. This film was an easy route to go, part Oscar research and fitting snugly between Lumet classics Serpico and Dog Day Afternoon. It certainly seems out of place with those two films and it can get easily distracting whenever you deal with an all star cast. However despite a few scenes where you might sense that everyone is trying to outdo one another this film avoids the "look whose playing a security guard" problem with most of the disaster films of this era. I've never remotely cared for mystery stories and whenever you might ask "who done it?" my typical response is "who cares?" With that in mind Lumet's film is a good twist on that. Albert Finney is annoying however as the Belgian detective, but apparently this character is second only to Sherlock Holmes in British mystery and is the creation of Christie. Finney did impress several people with his ridiculous accent and handlebar mustache earned him an Oscar nomination. However then as now, accents, hunches, and old man makeup are enough to impress many people. Ingrid Bergman actually won for her simple minded Swedish missionary whose total screen time is probably less than 10 minutes. The cast can get distracting and the idea that the man killed really, really, really deserved it lends a unique perspective to this mystery tale.

*Murder on the Orient Express was nominated for best actor (Finney), best adapted screenplay, best cinematography, best costume design, best original dramatic score, and won for best supporting actress (Bergman)
wpqx

Previous

Return to Film Talk