Innocence (2004 - France)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Innocence (2004 - France)

Postby Johndav » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:15 pm

I'd heard some critics were troubled by a sexual edge to the film, felt it exploited children. But i agree it's innocent of that charge.
Johndav

Postby trevor826 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:51 pm

Although I have my own opinions and interpretations which are certainly very different from the last review, I watched Innocence almost as if I were a new arrival like Iris. Through the eyes of a child I wanted to explore and understand this strange new world.

Innocent actions in a world of innocence that could only be interpreted in any other way by the minds of adults. Bewitching, captivating and creepy.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:21 pm

Sounds really mysterious. All the comments ant interpretations so far are intriguing. I'll try to see it in the future
A

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:29 am

This visually sublime and mysteriously poetic debut feature by Lucile Hadzihalilovic is now available on DVD in the U.S. (Home Vision). It received limited theatrical distribution back in 2005, when I initially watched it. Like Trevor and John, I also believe that it is one of the finest films French cinema has produced in recent years.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:05 am

I missed the theatrical release here (it played in one theater for one week), but I'm glad I eventually got to see it on DVD. Watching the film on a widescreen TV was quite a joy, the eye for composition is remarkable here, but other than one or two instances I don't think there was any "showing off" the way Hadzihalilovic's parter Gaspar Noe is prone to. It's strange how our natural inclination affects how we interpret the film. I kept making the connection to a bordello and assumed these girls were getting some sort of preparation for prostitution, although not much of anything is in the film to substantiate that. Probably best on more than one viewing but a rather remarkable film overall.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:16 am

I'm glad to discover that you think highly of the film as well. Surprising that it took so long for it to appear on DVD (the AE disc has been available since Jan '06), but perhaps Image Ent's takeover of HV had something to do with it. I'm not amazed, however, that it came out now since numerous films featuring Marion Cotillard, who'll soon be seen on a few red-colored carpets, have hit the DVD shelves recently.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:02 pm

It just took Facets awhile to get the DVD, and there's always a lag when it comes to new releases (I'm still waiting for one of their four copies of Eastern Promises to return). As sad as it may be in terms of what gets released and when it always has to do with money, and for the general public we are still very much a star system.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:38 am

In a perfect world, of course, I'd like to see Innocence being double-billed with Shyamalan's equally allegorical (and remarkable), The Village.
arsaib4

Previous

Return to Film Talk