En attendant le dluge (2004) After We're Gone

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Postby trevor826 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:45 pm

Directed by Damien Odoul

Starring Pierre Richard, Anna Mouglalis, Damien Odoul

So Damien Odoul, darling of the critics following your directorial debut with Le Souffle, what do you do when you want to make an arty-farty movie?

Simple, gather a cast of non-actors plus 1 or 2 friends and a couple of real actors (the first 2 listed above) oh and if your vain enough, give yourself a pivotal role, take them to some out of the way chateau and let them behave like pretentious arses. Steal a bit of Shakespeare; pretend youre as talented as Lars von Trier, Peter Greenaway, Mike Figgis or Godard and Voila!

This is a pure vanity project, written, directed and starring Damien Odoul, the whole show revolves around him despite the fact that he doesnt have the talent to do any of these things very well (certainly not based on this film).

Jean-Ren is old and lives in an old chateau with a simple-minded friend/servant Pipo since his wife died 15 years earlier. Given the news that hes dying, he decides to hire a theatrical troupe to put on a play based on the legend of Dionysus at his home purely for him.

Gradually the troupe arrive bit by bit and prove to be a collection of misfits with emotional hang-ups and egotistical issues, now the problems really begin as they prance (or ponce) around the chteau arguing, destroying plates etc, getting all introspective (as only stage actors can) and generally behaving like unruly prats until in the end, Jean-Ren elects to stage his own play based on his forth coming death and a short time after the performance, he dies.

The scenes jump all over the place with no purpose, characters converse with others or themselves in an entirely egotistical manner, oh yes darling, I am an Actor! so all I can discuss is me, me and of course, me!

Lars von Trier did the whole nut jobs let loose to far better and more honest effect in The Idiots, Peter Greenaway is a master of making beautiful albeit often non-sensical films, Figgis manages to at least keep some restraint on his cast during his largely improvised pieces. And Godard, poor old Godard gets praised for his influence on modern cinema but also takes the blame for influencing pretentious pieces of tosh like this.

So any saving graces? Anna Mouglalis, not for her performance but just for her beauty, a haunting elegant beauty that at least makes the film slightly bearable, thankfully a fairly short running time, 70 mins, also I know from the DVD extras that the performers had a great time making the film, shame this couldn't be carried over to the audience though!

Cheers Trev.

P.S Like most films on initial viewing, I have retained a copy and will watch it again in the near future to either justify or change my opinion.

BBFC rated 15
trevor826

Re: En attendant le dluge (2004) After We're Gone

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:05 pm

I was thinking about picking this one up based on Odoul's previous two features, Le Souffle and Errance, but I've read quite a few negative reviews. It's good that you decided to give it a go. There's nothing wrong with sharing your thoughts about a film even if they're not complimentary.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:12 pm

You know what I'm like, I'll try anything and I saw this without any preconceptions simply because I hadn't noticed it on the release lists.

It's not a terrible film but it's very self indulgent almost as if he was making it purely for an audience of one, himself!

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:19 pm

Yeah, it seems like "self indulgent" is the common phrase being used for this. Perhaps Odoul needed this kind of a response since his earlier work, especially Le Souffle, got praised through the roofs.
arsaib4

Postby A » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:10 pm

I've only seen Le souffle, which I liked very much, but it wasn't anything special imo.
I'll certainly try to see more of his films in the future, but probably not this one. Thanks for your review.
A

Postby A » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:10 am

I think i have to correct my last reply here. Damien Odoul's Le souffle (2001) was certainly something special, just not the singular masterpiece many critics claimed it to be. I 'd like to see this again and watch more films by Odoul. Does anyone have any news on recent or upcoming projects, or how to purchase some of his films with English subs?
A

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:15 am

Odoul's latest effort, L'Histoire de Richard O., starring Mathieu Amalric, recently premiered at Venice. Haven't heard much about it at this point.

His first three theatrical features -- Le Souffle, Errance, and En attendant le dluge -- are all available on DVD in the U.K. (with subs, of course).
arsaib4

Return to Film Talk