This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:52 pm

Please utlilize this thread to review/discuss Argentinian Cinema. But if you prefer to start a new thread on a film, then also feel free to do so.

INDEX (in order reviewed)

Page 1 :

FAMILIA RODANTE (Pablo Trapero / 2004)
BOLIVIA (Adrin Caetano / 2001)
ANA Y LOS OTROS (Celina Murga / 2003)
LOST EMBRACE (1) (Daniel Burman / 2004)
INTIMATE STORIES (Carlos Sorin / 2002)
LOST EMBRACE (2) (Daniel Burman / 2004)
EL PERRO (Carlos Sorin / 2004)
VALENTIN (Alejandro Agresti / 2002)
NINE QUEENS (Fabin Bielinsky / 2000)
PIZZA, BEER & SMOKES (Adrin Caetano / 1997)

*For more Argentinian film reviews, please visit our main FILM INDEX.

Re: Journal: ARGENTINA

Postby trevor826 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:05 am

Thank's for starting this thread arsaib4, it'll be interesting to find out more about Argentinean cinema. For my contribution, here are my comments for a film I've just seen.

Familia Rodante (2004) Rolling Family

Directed by Pablo Trapero

Featuring Graciana Chironi, Marianela Pedano

Its funny cos its true!

This is one of those films that hits you immediately (or the majority of us anyway), why? Because these people, this grouping, this matriarchal family structure is so universal.

Its Grandmas birthday, we open with her sat at a garden table reminiscing with old friends, switch to the inside of the house, her daughters and grandchildren hustle and bustle, continuously getting in each others way or just being a nuisance as they prepare the celebration meal.

There is a war going on, sisters vie with each other for their mothers attention, this despite the fact that they have husbands, children of their own and their mother is at least 80 years old. Yes I know this family, I know this structure, Ive been there, seen it, done it, got the T-shirt. These are my in-laws and Ive no doubt there are many families that are exactly the same all around the world.

During the celebrations Grandma receives a phone call, she has been invited to her nieces wedding, along with the entire family group, indeed she has been requested to be the matron of honour. So without further ado the family prepare for the 1,000+-km trip from Buenos Aires to the rural town of Misiones.

Now the fun begins, twelve family members, from Grandma to great grandchild pack into a camper van for the journey that will take two days, cramped together like sardines, a true test for any family.

Apart from the bickering fretting daughters, there are the husbands and their children, in one case, a daughter (with best friend in tow), in the other a daughter (with a baby) and two sons. There is tension, not just between the wives/daughters but also between the husbands. There is also a case of kissing cousins (but the boy is far more interested in his cousins best friend) and further into the trek we meet the father of the great grandchild (who doesnt exactly get on with his partners father).

Breakdowns, the steamy heat, young lust and familial tensions all add fuel to the fire on this trip of a lifetime but when Grandma speaks, everybody stops and listens. Will they make the wedding; indeed will they survive this trip intact? Only time will tell.

The film struck me with its reality and honesty, non actors took the majority of roles and together they felt like a real family, theres no deliberate comedy element, the humour is genuinely felt because you know these people. You may have been within a large family gathering such as this and if so I have no doubt that many of the occurrences will ring bells with you.

While the family may feel universal, the film is without a doubt Argentinean, the constant references to mate (a form of herbal drink) which is known as Argentinas national drink. The countryside, from vast open plains to beautiful rugged wooded mountains, the police with their constant checks, and of course the horses, Gouchos and celebrations.

Recommended? Yes, its a well-made film, nice performances and great views of Argentina. If it had been a Hollywood film, the comedy would have been laboured to the point of excess, as it is, if you find it amusing itll be for the right reasons.

Cheers Trev

BBFC rating 15
R2 Pal dvd available from Artificial Eye includes short "making of" doc.

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:17 pm

Good review. I liked the film quite a bit even though I think it's his third best: others being Crane World, which is one of the great Argentinian films of recent years, and El Bonaerense. Rodante has done quite well internationally, so hopefully it will not only help expose Trapero's previous work but raise awareness for his future projects as well.

Postby trevor826 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:45 pm

Thank's for your kind comments. Regarding Trapero's other films, El Bonaerence is definitely his biggest hit here so far, unfortunately Crane World hasn't been released, one day maybe.

Cheers Trev.

Postby hengcs » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:15 am

should we migrate the rest over?
hee hee

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:03 pm

If there are single threads for films then I think we should let them be; I prefer not to make this an "all-encompassing" thread. But if you, or anyone else, wants to move their own reviews then that's great.

Postby hengcs » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:59 pm

Lost Embrace (El Abrazo Partido) (2004) (Argentina)

Director: Daniel Burman
Cast: Daniel Hendler, Adriana Aizemberg, Jorge D'Ela

I think I have written the review on the old
I will re-edit this if I have the time ...
too many movies to review, too little time ... hiaks hiaks ...

This movie has won the Jury Grand Prix (Silver Bear) and Best Acto r (Daniel Hendler) awards at the 2004 Berlin Film Festival. Without doubt, it represented Argentina in Oscar 2005.

The official site is here.

What I like about the movie?
-- The second half of the movie.
-- Despite being a comedy, it is peppered with philosophy.
-- The movie is pretty quick pace.
-- The performance of the male protagonist and his mother.

What may be problematic?
-- I believe a lot is lost in translation. A number of jokes are either very cultural or embedded in the Spanish language. Well, pardon my ignorance, the audience sometimes laugh and I do not know why ...
-- Likewise, the song that is sung by the grandmother is not translated/subtitled. Can someone please translate (if you have watched the movie)?

Note: Do not leave the theater when the credit rolls, the grandmother will appear. In fact, there is a pun, she asked, "Do you like it?" Is she refering to her song? or the movie ...

PS: Don't you think the original poster is much much better than the US version?

[Edit]Trevor's Review.

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:23 pm

"PS: Don't you think the original poster is much much better than the US version?"

Good point. The original does a better job portraying the film's central theme than the U.S. version. (One of the characters in the U.S. poster is barely part of the film.)

Anyway, I liked the film, but perhaps not as much as you did. At times the film felt more like a stage play, which might have been the point. Loved the performance by Daniel Hendler though.

Postby A » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:50 am

Didn't like this one, and also didn't like the new one by Daniel Burman "Derecho de familia". I think he's a waaay too commercial director. And too cold and conservative for me. But Daniel Hendler is imo a revelation in both of them. The only reason for sitting through this kind of crowd-pleaser.
The people at cinema who watched "Family Law" seemed delighted.

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:42 am

Hendler is also pretty good in Burman's earlier effort, Esperando al mesas ("Waiting for the Messiah"), which is arguably his best film so far. Compared to a few others, he's certainly more "commercial." Haven't yet seen Derecho de familia.

Return to Film Talk