My Czech Film Festival

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: My Czech Film Festival

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:19 am

I believe Second Run in the U.K. has Lazarov on its 2007 schedule.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:18 am

So, what else is playing at the fest?
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:58 am

I won't be able to check out any new films for a couple of days, but there are certainly more on the way.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:19 am

Tereza (1961) - Pavel Blumenfeld

A complicated murder mystery with a victim that no one seems to care about avenging. The film is that same type of slightly subversive picture quietly scrutinizing the powers in charge, and the female detectives progress parallels the hopeless plight and misleading information one would encounter through official bureaucracy. I'd say much of the film was lost on me as my attention started to wander into lala land during the picture.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:04 am

Prayer for Katarina Horovitzova (1969) - Antonin Moskalyk

The cover of this video makes it look like something out of the 80s, but oh quite a different story on the inside. Eastern Europe (and all of Europe for that matter) favorite topic, that of World War II is the backdrop once again. The film is based on an incident involving several vacationing Jewish Americans who were captured by Nazis in Italy. They bargain to get the Jews to trade their lives for captured Nazi prisoners, but along the way the deal becomes more and more lopsided. The film is compelling in itself, and uses the double edged sword of smooth talking "friendly" nazis who are the most corrupt imaginable. The creepiest moment of the film comes when the half crazed former rabbi shows the title character his shop where all the prisoner's hair is. A worthwhile and largely unseen film made at the tail end of the movement.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:19 pm

Mandragora (1997) - Wiktor Grodeckl

My first venture into moderately contemporary Czech cinema is something you might expect from Larry Clark, but with more violence. Mandragora is a bit of an epic, and much of it repeats itself but that doesn't make the film boring. More than enough goes on to capture an audiences attention, however much of the film does seem to border and occasionally step over the line of exploitation. I'd say certainly a captivating film with moments of supreme drama, but perhaps too bleak to really make a decent impression.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:08 am

I'm not sure if Juraj Herz's The Cremator is available at Facets or the library, but it's a must for every Czech fest.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:19 am

There is a region 2 DVD of it available for order on Facets, but $50 is a little rich for my blood.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:59 am

That's a rip-off! One could simply purchase it from Amazon (U.K.) for about half of that price. But Facets have recently released a few films that were originally put out by Second Run (Kawalerowicz's Mother Joan of the Angels, Makk's Another Way, etc.), so it's possible that The Cremator is on their 2007 schedule.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:07 am

Considering their reputation for Eastern European films (the founder was an immigrant) I would say its quite likely. They may have it available for rental as they've been offering more and more import dvds, but with my expired membership I'll have to check back during more prosperous times.
wpqx

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk