My Czech Film Festival

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: My Czech Film Festival

Postby wpqx » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:26 am

I still have 3 working VCR's so I'm not worried too much.
wpqx

Postby hengcs » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:01 am

Quote wpqx,"Mandragora (1997) - Wiktor Grodeckl

My first venture into moderately contemporary Czech cinema is something you might expect from Larry Clark ..."

Hey wpqx, there is also a documentary prior to that ... Body Without Soul (1996) ... I watched it when I was in United States ... Frankly, I am still SHOCKED by the scenes in the mortuary ... dont know how to erase those away ... ;(
hengcs

Postby wpqx » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:36 am

I am intrigued.
wpqx

Postby A » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:20 am

I`m ashamed that I haven`t commented yet, with me being a Czech cinema lover and all. But during the last two months I didn`t have much time for our board, and there are still dozens of posts I have to read, yet (Thank god for the markers - though my PC is always stacked with hengcs` "books").
So, I just decided to start reading the thread, BUT
I`ll have to postpone it, as I was invbited to participate at some boardgames right now.
But I`ll definitely add my two cents worth in the future on everything that has alreaady been said and more.

But as not to leave without any info, I strongly advise all of you to check out the Czech films by Alexander Hammid (also known as Alexandr Hackenschmied) and Otokar Vavra from the 30s!!
A

Postby wpqx » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:56 am

I plan on getting into as many contemporary and vintage Czech films as the majority of my viewing is that narrow margin between 64-67.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:24 am

I was under the impression that you were simply concentrating on the New Wave in this thread.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:24 am

Not really, just that was what I found readily available. I plan concentrating on it again a little more later, but right now I'm diversifying.
wpqx

Postby madhuban » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:15 pm

Maybe you could watch the fairly recent film, Something Like Happiness (2005) by Bohdan Slama, which created quite a stir in the Rotterdam festival. I didn't think much of the film, but would be keen to know how you respond.

M
madhuban

Postby A » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:34 am

Ok, finished reading the last thread in "World Cinema" I hadn` yet gone through. Now I can finally click that MArk Forum Read button.

I haven`t seen most of the films that have been reviewed so far, but at least I recall two thirds being mentioned some place or another. Here in Germany not much is available really, and if so, it`s on VHS which means dubbed, which means, for the most part, unacceptable.
From the Czechoslovakian films I`ve seen, I liked "Daisies" (1966) and "Diamonds of the Night" the most.

Let`s see who will be the winner in the end. Former heavyweight Czechian madhuban, or the young but hard training contender wpqx?
The fight over our boards Czechspert has begun.
A

Postby madhuban » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:48 am

wpqx wins hands down simply for giving us so many good reviews from his czech festival. Just look at the number of Czech films I have reviewed with all my advertised enthusiasm! [dying with embarrassment]
madhuban

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk