Future screenings at the Chapter, Opinions wanted.

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Future screenings at the Chapter, Opinions wanted.

Postby trevor826 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:22 am

I will update this every month simply to have a direct listing and to garner any opinions for my future viewing.

April at the Chapter.

I have listed the majority of the films screening during April, there are others including a back to back screening of the Lord of the Rings trilogy but Ive omitted this and others that I definitely will not be seeing.

Id be glad of any opinions as to which films from the list are not to be missed, I have listed previously seen films in bold but since Im still questioning whether to see them again, Ive left them in the list for now.

* Play. (2005) Dir: Alicia Scherson. - My brief comment *

Little Children. (2006) Dir: Todd Field.

The Chances of the World Changing. (2006) Dir: Eric Daniel Metzgar.

The One-Armed Swordsman (Dubei Dao) (1967) Dir: Chang Cheh -Cinema China 07

* Two Stage Sisters (Wutai Jimei) (1965) Dir: Xie Lin - Cinema China 07 - My thoughts. *

Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus (2006) Dir: Steven Shainberg.

Notes on a Scandal (2006) Dir: Richard Eyre.

Flags of Our Fathers (2006) Dir: Clint Eastwood.

Them (Ils) (2006) Dir: David Moreau,

A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints (2006) Dir: Dito Montiel.

* Letters from Iwo Jima (2006) Dir: Clint Eastwood.My thoughts. *

* Climates (Iklimer) (2006) Dir: Nuri Bilge Ceylan. My thoughts. *

Hero (Ying Xiong) (2002) Dir: Zhang Yimou - Cinema China 07

* Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles (2005) Dir: Zhang Yimou - Cinema China 07 My comments *

Vive lAmour (1994) Dir: Tsai Ming Liang -Cinema China 07 - My comments.

* Orchestra Seats (2006) (Fauteuils dorchestre) Dir: Danile Thompson. My thoughts *

* The Family Friend (Lamico di famiglia) (2006) Dir: Paolo Sorrentino. - The thread.*

After the Wedding (Efter Brylluppet) (2006) Dir: Susanne Bier.

The Science of Sleep (2006) Dir: Michel Gondry.

* A City of Sadness (Beiqing Chenshi) (1989) Dir: Hou Hsiao-hsien -Cinema China 07 My opinon. *

Los Olvidados (The Young and the Damned) (1950) Dir: Luis Buuel.

Inland Empire (2006) Dir: David Lynch.

Running with Scissors (2006) Dir: Ryan Murphy.

Id welcome any comments at all.

Cheers Trev.

* = The films I saw during this month
trevor826

Re: Future screenings at the Chapter, Opinions wanted.

Postby wpqx » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:01 pm

Well you're fired if you don't see Inland Empire or City of Sadness (which I'd still like to see with subtitles).
wpqx

Postby justindeimen » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:08 pm

Plenty of screenings which the general populace liked and the critics loved. Even vice versa.

I'll just do 6 I think you might like.

Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus (2006) Dir: Steven Shainberg.

Notes on a Scandal (2006) Dir: Richard Eyre.

A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints (2006) Dir: Dito Montiel.

Orchestra Seats (2006) (Fauteuils dorchestre) Dir: Danile Thompson.

After the Wedding (Efter Brylluppet) (2006) Dir: Susanne Bier.

Inland Empire (2006) Dir: David Lynch.
justindeimen

Postby trevor826 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:40 am

A City of Sadness is a definite, along with the majority of the Cinema China 07.

I know I'll do my best to see as many matinee screenings as possible including:

Play. (2005)
Letters from Iwo Jima (2006)
Orchestra Seats (2006)
The Family Friend (2006)

I may not bother with Flags of Our Fathers (2006) simply because it's released on dvd around the time that it's showing.

Hasn't anyone seen Climates or Little Children?

Inland Empire will hopefully get a general release, long films can be hard work within the cramped confines of the Chapter.

Thank's for the comments on the other films wpqx and Justin, by the way, have you seen After the Wedding?

Cheers Trev
trevor826

Postby justindeimen » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:05 am

I saw Little Children. Did not like it at all. That's 2 hours of affluent, suburban dullards with sexual dysfunctions. Such a manufactured movie. It just seems a rehash of every dysfuntional suburban WASP film since American Beauty with nothing original or heartfelt in it.

Performances were flawless as expected but that usually is expected in a cast like this. Felt like a sombre Desperate Housewives episode that took itself too seriously. Definitely one made for awards, nothing you can thrust your hands into and grab some ounce of genuine feeling from it. Characters were limited and quirky in that very filmic way disguised as novel people with intensely different strains of lives, including a voiceover that reveals too much too often. Basically it wants to leave you wondering who the little children actually are while showing us that the kids in movies are born precocious. I really disliked it, for its insistently long runtime (almost like if they let us out early, we might catch an actual award worthy film superior to this), its artifice and its insistence of making its inherently smart characters stupid in the face of life's mundane decisisons in order to make some big yuck about hypocrisy. These suburban household prestige films are really starting to grate.

But for the record, I liked Field's debut, In the Bedroom. What a step backwards into functionalised mediocrity.

About After the Wedding, not yet. Waiting for the film fest in Singapore to catch that one.
justindeimen

Postby trevor826 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:43 pm

Thanks for the info justin.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:19 pm

Nuri Bilge Ceylan's CLIMATES.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:33 am

Thanks arsaib4, I was sure you had written a review but it's absence from the index made me think I'd imagined it.

Looks like I'll be making around 10 visits there next month provided there are no problems. It's nice for me to plan out my screenings like this, during Feb I only had the time for 2 visits. Early booking equates to cheaper ticket prices, it also means that I will make every possible effort to get there, last year I missed a lot of films (to my regret) using my bad feet as an excuse, it's not going to happen this year.

Talking of the Chapter, my last March screening there today - Abderrahmane Sissako's Bamako (2006), looking forward to this one.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:12 am

Yeah, the index needs some repair work. Hopefully, we'll be able to divide the duties in order to get it done as soon as possible.

The programmers at the Chapter have certainly brought in some wonderful films. It's tempting, but I won't mention the ones I haven't yet seen. I believe I briefly brought up Play to you earlier. Whether it was here or in an e-mail, I'm not sure. Anyway, you'll get the chance to experience it in another format very soon (though it's possible that the film's visual-aural dynamics won't be as affecting) . In fact, same goes for Climates, but since I'm sure that you're well aware of the vagaries of distribution, you'll act accordingly.

I agree with wpqx; I wouldn't want to miss the Lynch and the Hou on the big screen. Same applies to the Cinema China series. You also can't go wrong with the Eastwood films, but again, you'll have another opportunity to get to them.

Orchestra Seats is one of the many titles of this French rom-com. Perhaps it's appropriate considering how familiar it seems. You've seen and reviewed a few of them, so you know what to expect. I'll be watching Little Children and Notes on a Scandel tomorrow.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:18 am

I forgot to mention that I loved Sissako's previous feature, Waiting for Happiness (coming soon on DVD from New Yorker), and I'm looking forward to his much talked-about Bamako.
arsaib4

Next

Return to Film Talk