Future screenings at the Chapter, Opinions wanted.

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Future screenings at the Chapter, Opinions wanted.

Postby wpqx » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:29 am

As far as the Eastwood films go, I'd recommend Flags of Our Fathers on the big screen. I watched it on DVD and felt next to nothing. However when I saw Letters From Iwo Jima I was completely immersed, and the Oscar winning sound was something I could not adequately experience on my television.
wpqx

Postby trevor826 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:16 pm

I've had "Waiting for Happiness" on dvd (Artificial Eye) for quite a while now after initially catching it on TV, needless to say it pushed the right buttons for me.

Bamako is a very different creature, a formal trial set in a communal courtyard where witnesses from several African countries raise tough accusations against Europe, the U.S. the World Bank and the IMF. Sub stories intertwine and there is an air of the surreal to the whole film.

More later.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:06 am

Having seen Play & Two Stage Sisters I've picked up my next tickets for Letters from Iwo Jima, Climates and Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles. I will probably catch Inland Empire in early May, terrific trailer btw.

I've yet to decide whether to see Vive lAmour and Los Olvidados again and probably won't reach a decision until the last minute.

I haven't made any definite plans for this next week due to the prolonged Easter holiday but may well catch a film if I can make the time.

In the meantime I've promised to see Danny Boyle's Sunshine and Zhang Yimou's Curse of the Golden Flower with my sons and for my wifes birthday in early May, Spider-Man 3.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:34 pm

Reading through all the replies, there isn't much i can add. But since you asked for everyone's opinion, here is mine!

As wpqx pointed out, I'd definitely go and see Hou's film and the new Lynch. The trailer really is terrific, and I wouldn't miss anything by Hou on the big screen (my one time experience was worth the admission and my 10 Euro taxi fare to get there in time at least five times!!).

From the rest I'll comment on the one's I've seen and you haven't (Personally I would rewatch Hero, Science of Sleep amnytime on the big screen, to mention only two).

If you have anything going with Hong Kong Cinema and at least a bit of appreciation of Shaw Brothers actionfilms (I'm sure you have), you need to watch "The One-Armed Swordsman". It's a classic and one of the best. You'll probably leave the cinema with a big grin on your face.
I would also recommend you watch
Climates (Iklimer) (2006) Dir: Nuri Bilge Ceylan. I'm not as enthusiastic about it as arsaib (though I haven't read his review yet) but it's a good film, and i wouldn't miss Ceylan on the big screen. He isn't a professional photographer for no reason!

Ok, I'll say something more. I haven't seen it, but you should probably check out The Family Friend (Lamico di famiglia) (2006) Dir: Paolo Sorrentino. His previous "The Consequences of Love" impressed me a lot and Sorrentino is surely one of the most talented Italian directors working at the moment.

PS:
I'd like to read more of your thoughts on Bamako. I watched it twice at the cinema and enjoyed it a lot. And the music is terrific.
A

Postby trevor826 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:18 am

Thanks for your comments A, I will write more on Bamako but I'm still reading through all the paraphernalia that was handed out after the film, hopefully you'll add your thoughts as well.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:45 am

I have finished my April selection, after seeing:

Play. (2005)
Two Stage Sisters (Wutai Jimei) (1965)
Letters from Iwo Jima (2006)

I have my tickets for:

Climates (Iklimer) (2006) Dir: Nuri Bilge Ceylan. Seeing this tonight, the beautiful trailer and arsaib4's review have really raised my hopes for something outstanding.
Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles (2005) Dir: Zhang Yimou - Cinema China 07. Tonight as well, will have a tough time following Climates.
A City of Sadness (Beiqing Chenshi) (1989) Dir: Hou Hsiao-hsien -Cinema China 07

and will also definitely see

Orchestra Seats (2006) (Fauteuils dorchestre) Dir: Danile Thompson.
The Family Friend (Lamico di famiglia) (2006) Dir: Paolo Sorrentino.
After the Wedding (Efter Brylluppet) (2006) Dir: Susanne Bier.

Having now seen the May listings, it will be better for me to put off Los Olvidados and Inland Empire until then when I can catch both at matinee screenings.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:06 pm

May at the Chapter.

The May listing is not quite as instantly appealing as the last few months but hopefully there are a few good to very good films to see.

Please advise on any must see films, all comments are welcome. Previously seen films are listed in in bold.

Running with Scissors (2006) Dir: Ryan Murphy

* Inland Empire (2006) Dir: David Lynch. *

* Los Olvidados (The Young and the Damned) (1950) Dir: Luis Buuel. *

* Days of Glory (Indignes) (2006) Dir Rachid Bouchareb *

The Caiman (Il Caimano) (2006) Dir Nanni Moretti

Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages (1922) Dir Benjamin
Christensen with live accompaniment, unfortunately this one off screening falls on my wifes birthday so Ill be seeing Spiderman 3 instead.

Love Story (2006) Dir Chris Hall

The Red Shoes (1948) Dir Powell & Pressburger

The Queen (2006) Dir Stephen Frears

El Aura (2005) Dir Fabin Bielinsky

Joe Strummer: The Future Is Unwritten (2007) Dir Julian Temple

Honor de la Cavalleria (2006) Dir Albert Serra

Fresh Air (Friss leveg) (2006) Dir gnes Kocsis

Under the Skin (1997) Dir Carine Adler

Opus Dei / I Love Pinochet documentary double bill from director Marcela Said

Tricky Life (En la puta vida) (2001) Dir Beatriz Flores Silva

The Right to Live in Peace (El Derecho de Vivir en Paz) (1999) Dir Carmen Luz Parot

Estado Nacional (2001) Dir Carmen Luz Parot

Kardia (2006) Dir Su Rynard

Belle de Jour (1967) Dir Luis Buuel

Casablanca (1942) Dir Michael Curtiz

Mutual Appreciation (2005) Dir Andrew Bujalski

The Lives of Others (Das Leben der Anderen) (2006) Dir Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck

La Belle et la Bete (1946) Dir Jean Cocteau

For Your Consideration (2006) Dir Christopher Guest

Away From Her (2006) Dir Sarah Polley

The Gigolos (2006) Dir Richard Bracewell

This is England (2006) Dir Shane Meadows

Jindabyne (2006) Dir Ray Lawrence

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (Le Charme Discret de la Bourgeoisie) (1972) Dir Luis Buuel

Los Dos Lados de la Cama (2005) Dir Emilio Martnez Lzaro

Id be grateful for any comments, particularly regarding the Spanish/Latin American films.

Cheers Trev
trevor826

Postby hengcs » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:22 pm

I would say

- (i like it) Days of Glory (Indignes) (2006) Dir Rachid Bouchareb

- (maybe) El Aura (2005) Dir Fabin Bielinsky

rgds
hengcs

Postby trevor826 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:58 pm

I'm sure arsaib4 mentioned El Aura before, I'm also pretty sure that justin has seen it as well.

Days of Glory has a matinee screening so it'll almost definitely make the list.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:50 am

The Spanish and Latin American films are part of the Viva! Film Festival which is touring through May and June. The full Manchester based festival is screening around 30 feature length films plus shorts and more, by the look of it only 6 will be screened in Cardiff:

May
El Aura (2005) - Fabin Bielinsky
Honor de Cavalleria (2006) - Albert Serra
Los Dos Lados de la Cama (2005) - Emilio Martnez Lzaro

June
El Habitante Incierto (2004) - Guillem Morales
Un Franco, 14 Pesetas (2006) - Carlos Iglesias
Crimen Ferpecto (2004) - lex de la Iglesia

Cheers Trev
trevor826

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk